Thread poster: Elif Baykara Narbay

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:10
German to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2015

Hi all,

for some reason I had to switch my CAT tools in the middle of a project.

Original file was in word format, from which I prepared a project in Studio 2011. After few days of translation, I had to switch to MemoQ. I have successfully imported my sdlxliff file into MemoQ and I am working on it right now. After I complete the translation, I will export the xliff file into Studio, obtain my target file and send it to the client.

And now I have a question. Initially, while preparing the projects, the applied segmentation is not a very convenient one.It would be much better if I would do join some segments (about 100+ pairs in over 3000 segments). I realized this only after I switched to MemoQ.

I plan to perform these segment joinings in MemoQ but I don't know whether that would lead to problems when for the final work I would try to work in Studio again?

Any ideas?

TIA

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:10
English to Russian
Try Sep 10, 2015

Even though I still cannot understand whether you move sdlxliff between the cats or you use the package/return package method calling it sdlxliff, the best way is to join a couple of segments in memoQ and then try to open them in trados.
1. Make a test copy of your file as is.
2. Open in memoQ.
3. Join any two segments.
4. Copy source to target for all untranslated segments (for tag compliance purposes). Use Shift to select segm's from the last translated to the last listed. Then use the Copy source to target for all segments command.
5. Move this file to Studio and open.
6. If nothing bad happens up to this step, try to save target in Studio.
7. Behold the miracle.
8. Go back to this thread to let every one know if it works.
Good luck:)

[Edited at 2015-09-10 06:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation: xliff prepared in Studio 2011, translated in MemoQ 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search