Studio 2015: Merging two TMs with different language directions, but the same language pair
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka

Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have a question concerning merging TMs in SDL Trados Studio 2015 that is very important for me.
I work only in the combination German-Polish and Polish-German.
Is it possible, in Trados Studio 2015, to merge two translation memories, which have two different directions for example by clicking "Custom" in the pane "Output Translation Memories" (as far as I understand thanks to the app "AnyTM" for SDL Trados Studio 2015 a set language direction for a given project is not important anymore)?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:00
French to German
+ ...
Depends on what you mean by merging Sep 12, 2015

Malgorzata

Technically, there is no problem to merge two TMs, you simply need to import the second one into the first one. The question however is: what do you want to achieve?

Do you want to have all the TUs of the POL-GER TM in reversed language direction also in your GER-POL TM?

If yes, then you can simply import as I mentioned above.

Another approach and the one I would personally prefer is to keep the two TMs distinct, but create a reversed version of both TMs and use the AnyTM plugin (if you still use a Studio version prior to 2015) to assign both TMs to your project. If you use Studio 2015, you don't need this plugin anymore as this functionality is now inbuilt into Studio.

Walter

Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My main purpose behind merging the TM's Sep 12, 2015

Thanks for your reply, Walter!

The main purpose behind the merging my two TM's is that I want to use in a given project what I've translated in the past e.g. from German into Polish also in the direction Polish into German.
However, I'm afraid that when I import one TM into another the system will mess something up.
I'm I right in my doubts?
Because of that I use the option "Any TM: Any file-based TM" when adding to a given project the German-Polish TM as well as the Polish-German TM.

On the other hand adding one merged TM would be quicker, but as I've said, I'm afraid of a system malfunction that will create chaos in my merged TM and make it useless.

As to the version of Trados I use, I'm using Trados 2015 Freelance (I've bought it almost two weeks ago).

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:00
French to German
+ ...
Using two TMs with AnyTM is the better choice Sep 13, 2015

Hi Malgorzata

I don't think that merging the two TM would mess something up, but you would need to regularly repeat the operation because the TM you imported in the reversed language direction will continue to evolve.

The best thing to do in my eyes is to use Any TM. AnyTM has a nice feature which automatically creates a reversed TM when you assign a TM to project that has the reversed language pair of your project. As an example: you created a project to translate from English to Polish. If you assign a Polish-English TM to this project using AnyTM, then Studio will ask you whether it should create a reversed TM (with a different special file extension to differentiate it as a reversed TM).
If you say yes, it will do this for you (time to get a coffee). Once this is done, you will have both the ENG-POL and the POL-ENG TMs assigned to your project, but - and this is the beauty of this function - if you create further projects and assign again both TM (which it will do automatically if it is in your project template), Studio will update both TMs.
This means that if you always use both TMs, they will both be automatically updated whether you translate from ENG to POL or the other way round.

Walter

Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now everything is clear. Sep 13, 2015

Hello Walter,

Thanks for your further explanation, now everything is clearicon_smile.gif.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: Merging two TMs with different language directions, but the same language pair

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search