Studio goes very slow when we are working out of the office
Thread poster: Celer

Celer
Spain
Sep 16, 2015

Hello everybody!

Our company we have installed the server license and all pcs are registered against this server, but we have a problem (especially of time) when our account managers work from their house. The run time is very high.

I don't know if Trados Studio is requesting the license to the server all the time and so, it's there the increase of time, is this a question that I have, how many times Studio asks to the server, that is, it registers when it begins or it is asking to server by each operation.

Also, account managers are working with VPN because our TMs are in our server, I had read that this way doesn't work very well, is it true? if it's not so, what is the best way of work having our scenario?

Can somebody help me?

Thanks you so much!

TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
Server communications Sep 17, 2015

I doubt it's the license itself - that should be a very quick and simple check, so the connection to the server shouldn't matter. Much more likely to be the TMs and any other data stored on the server.

What directory are the files stored in - is it a network share, or on C:?

What is the server's internet connection like - a fast connection with plenty of bandwidth? What does speedtest.net say the speed from your office is?

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Studio running Slow Sep 17, 2015

Hi Celer,

I noticed your post but cannot give a definitive answer as I am not 100% sure of your account ID.
However each time you start Studio the license integrity is indeed checked- this should however not slow down any processes after this.
If as I suspect your company is based in Madrid, please contact your SDL account manager- NC can then work with you to resolve ant Studio related issues.

Kr-SDL

Steve

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:32
Member (2008)
French to English
VPN can be slow Sep 17, 2015

Celer wrote:

Also, account managers are working with VPN because our TMs are in our server, I had read that this way doesn't work very well, is it true? if it's not so, what is the best way of work having our scenario?

A VPN can indeed slow things down, as the software must query the network constantly. A cloud service such as Dropbox creates a local copy of the TM which you can work on locally, with the network updating going on in the background without affecting the software's activity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio goes very slow when we are working out of the office

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search