Studio 2011 TM importing question: filtering 100% TUs
Thread poster: PapagenoX

PapagenoX
Local time: 10:49
Sep 17, 2015

O Sage Ones,

In Studio 2011, when importing a translation memory, is there a way to get Trados to display 100% units that already have 100% equivalents in the memory being imported into, so I can accept/reject revised 100% translation units individually?

There has to be a way to do this, right?

Thanks,

José aka PapagenoX

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:49
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Pretranslate? Sep 17, 2015

When I pretranslate a document, segments that are 100% matches, are marked as just that.

Or is there something else you mean? For instance that you attach the TM after you have worked on the document?

In that instance I would mark the whole document as draft, and then again do the pretranslating. I at least think that should do the trick for you.

PapagenoX
Local time: 10:49
TOPIC STARTER
Should have explained the situation better Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for the reply, Roy, but I suppose I should have explained my situation better.

What's happening is this: I have one version of an English-to-Spanish translation memory here in-house. A number of months ago I sent a copy of that TM to an agency for them to work on a major project with their own copy. I've since translated a number of smaller documents in-house using my copy of said translation memory, as well as, on occasion, gotten bilingual files of documents that this agency has worked on which I felt needed corrections, and saved the corrected TUs to my copy of the TM (as far as my copy of the TM was concerned, these were all new 100% TUs).

Now comes the time where I have to integrate the agency's version of the TM with mine. The vast majority of the new TUs from their memory will not have 100% equivalent TUs in my memory--those I don't mind importing sight unseen.

However, there will be instances where both their memory and mine have 100% TUs for identical source segments, but that differ in the target. I wonder if Trados has a way of generating and displaying a list of what those particular units are before I allow them into the merged "master" translation memory.

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Same here Sep 18, 2015

I also happen often to make translation updates of texts where many translators are involved, and I don't want to enter things into "my" TM without having seen them.

I cannot do pre-translate with my TM, because it often contains fewer segments, and customers don't want to pay that much for revision. One wonder why they do not simply send you the new items to be make, so we would all be much happier.

My solution so far:
- deactivate customer TM
- scroll down file with my TM only and concentrate on the "existing" translations, so either they are there, or they have been done by somebody else, but then I only need to check these
- you can then reactivate customer TM and start from the beginning again. Studio will jump over what you have done

OR - if your memory is "bigger" and you know that customer TM is not much worth to have: Simply deactivate customer TM, pre-translate files with your TM, and finally reactivate customer TM.
Most customers do not get angry if you update their TM with a better translation, only if you have them to pay for it. It's sad!

I've not tried yet, but there should also be a chance to compare TM exports with QA tools like X-bench.

Other proposals are welcome. And I would also like to have some help to export file for review EXCLUDING TM/100%, so I don't need to papercheck "old" things, thanks!

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:49
English to Russian
2 TMs Sep 18, 2015

You guys seem to complicate your life.
Why don't you just create two folders - 'My-best-tm' for your own translations and '3d-party-tm' for translations other than yours. You don't need to integrate them to use both.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Two TMs and penalty workflow Sep 18, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

Why don't you just create two folders - 'My-best-tm' for your own translations and '3d-party-tm' for translations other than yours.

Exactly what I do in practice.
Plus, I apply a penalty to the 3rd-party TM.

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Will try with penalties Sep 18, 2015

but what if customer sends you a file with a lot of CM/100% segments that already translated and confirmed. Would penalty work there as well? As far as I could understand (from TagEditor, though), penalty works when you do a "new" translation.

One way could be to "empty" the target column, then re-translate from the beginning, with two TM's (or even more..) activated and penalty on customer's TM. Will give it a trial when it comes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 TM importing question: filtering 100% TUs

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search