Two translators working on same project package - help!
Thread poster: JNBJ

JNBJ
Denmark
Local time: 06:11
Danish to English
Sep 19, 2015

Hi there,

So a translator friend of mine has just 'outsourced' a portion of the text he is currently working on to me. He sent me the Trados (2011) project package that he got from the agency, and I'm supposed to translate the last 25% of the text in Trados (also 2011).

What we're wondering is whether there is an easy way of 'combining' his work and mine once we're both done, i.e. essentially copying my translated segments into his project file?

Neither of us are particularly used to working with Trados, so I hope there's a simple way of doing this that we just don't know about! Any suggestions?

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:11
German to Turkish
+ ...
Pretranslate? Sep 19, 2015

I don't know of a better way, but I think, once you both have translated the document and updated the TMs, you can merge the TMs and pretranslate one of the files using the new TM.

JNBJ wrote:

Hi there,

So a translator friend of mine has just 'outsourced' a portion of the text he is currently working on to me. He sent me the Trados (2011) project package that he got from the agency, and I'm supposed to translate the last 25% of the text in Trados (also 2011).

What we're wondering is whether there is an easy way of 'combining' his work and mine once we're both done, i.e. essentially copying my translated segments into his project file?

Neither of us are particularly used to working with Trados, so I hope there's a simple way of doing this that we just don't know about! Any suggestions?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:11
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Pretranslate is good but... Sep 19, 2015

Elif Baykara wrote:

I don't know of a better way, but I think, once you both have translated the document and updated the TMs, you can merge the TMs and pretranslate one of the files using the new TM.

Pretranslate is good but translation review functions as both translation and editing. It is quite effective for big volume jobs where the 2nd eye is essential.

Soonthon L.

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:11
German to Turkish
+ ...
On my to do list for a long time now :) Sep 19, 2015

but I never had the opportunity to study it properly.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Pretranslate is good but translation review functions as both translation and editing. It is quite effective for big volume jobs where the 2nd eye is essential.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two translators working on same project package - help!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search