Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 21, 2015

Hello everyone

I think I asked this question with a previous version of Trados as well, but I'm hoping that Trados 2015 has this function built-in. I have a text that has chunks of text that should be treated as tags, but they are not tags. They are surrounded by tags, however. I want Trados to treat them as tags because that would save me from having to manually check if the text was copied correctly into the target field.

For example, I may have this text in a segment:

To start the <tag>XYZ-funksie</tag>, press <tag>Ontvanger</tag> and then press <tag>Skakel aan</tag>.

The text between <tag> and </tag> is fixed. In fact, it's been pre-translated to the target language already. I should not change those chunks, so I'm hoping that Trados 2015 can treat them as if the segment said:

To start the <mergetag/>, press <mergetag/> and then press <mergetag/>.

There are hundreds of these phrases, and I know that if I can get Trados to treat those chunks as single tags, many of them will be 100% matches (I know this because I used to translate these texts in WFC, and they are often 100% matches when you change the tag chunks into placeables).

The problem becomes more acute if the TM source segment is e.g. this:

To start this <tag>XYZ Funksie</tag>, press <tag>Ontvanger</tag> and then press <tag>Skakel aan</tag>.

(I used bold to indicate the differences.) If I get such a fuzzy match, it is very time consuming to make sure that the text inside the tags are exactly correct, and it would be easier/better if Trados could simply change them for me to match the current source text.

My source files are SDLXLIFF file, in a merged project package. I don't have the original files.

So, can Trados 2015 do this yet?

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: how to turn tag chunks into single tags

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search