Collapsing of a selection
Thread poster: xxx2nl

xxx2nl  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Sep 22, 2015

When I have a word selected in the Find and Replace dialogue box and press the ARROW LEFT key, the selection isn't collapsed to the start. Is this normal behaviour or is it the fact that I'm running Studio 2014 under Parallels Desktop 10?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:27
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados 2014 Sep 22, 2015

2nl wrote:

When I have a word selected in the Find and Replace dialogue box and press the ARROW LEFT key, the selection isn't collapsed to the start. Is this normal behaviour or is it the fact that I'm running Studio 2014 under Parallels Desktop 10?

Trados Studio 2014 acts the same in Windows 7. I need to hit the Home key to collapse to the start of the Find string.

Soonthon L.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Also happens in Win 7 Sep 22, 2015

2nl wrote:
When I have a word selected in the Find and Replace dialogue box and press the ARROW LEFT key, the selection isn't collapsed to the start.

This also happens to me in Trados 2015 on Windows 7. If a word is selected in the find field (from left to right or from right to left, doesn't matter), then pressing the LEFT key does not move the cursor to the left of the word (as it does in e.g. MS Word). Instead, pressing the LEFT key deselects the word *and* moves the cursor to the second-to-last character.

Thankfully, the editor works as I would have expected: if a word is selected, and you press LEFT, the cursor moves to the start of the word, but if a word is selected and you press RIGHT, the cursor moves to the end of the word (just like in MS Word).

WFP4 works as MS Word does in both the editor and the find dialog.

WFP3's editor works as MS Word, but it's find dialog works like Trados 2015.

OmegaT has something in common with Trados 2015's method in both the editor and the find dialog (but it's also different): if the word was selected from left to right, then pressing LEFT will put the cursor at the second-to-last character, but if the word was selected from left to right, then pressing RIGHT puts the cursor one space before the word (i.e. pressing LEFT or RIGHT doesn't just deselect the word, but actually moves the cursor one place left or right as well). Similarly, if the word was selected from right to left, the same thing happens: the word is deselected, and the cursor moves one place in the direction of the arrow.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Arrow key moves one position to the left Sep 24, 2015

Hi

Am I missing something in this discussion?

Using the arrow key (without any additional key such as CTRL or ALT) does simply move the cursor one position back or forward. In my eyes, this is normal behaviour in most editors. So, I think that the behavior described by the originator of the post is normal.

In addition, it is also standard behaviour that any keystroke will clear an existing selection.

What would you expect it to do?

Walter

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
... Sep 24, 2015

2nl wrote:

Yes, it works in a peculiar way. Here is how it works in my case. Studio 2014 / Win 8.1.

Right to left selection using Shift-Home:
  • LEFT arrow key: selection collapses to the beginning
  • RIGHT arrow key: Selection collapses to the second character to the right

Left to right selection using Shift-End:
  • LEFT arrow key: selection collapses to the second to last character
  • RIGHT arrow key: Selection collapses to the end

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collapsing of a selection

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search