Editing locked cell content
Thread poster: Ben Senior

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:00
German to English
Sep 22, 2015

I have received an sdlxliff file to translate and it has some segments which are not locked but whose content has tagged text which is locked. I can copy source to target, copy and paste the locked tagged text and even delete it. But I cannot unlock the tagged text or edit it. How can I edit this locked tagged text?

Ben

Manuel Arcedillo
Spain
English to Spanish
Editing locked content in external editor Sep 22, 2015

Hi,

If you are sure your client needs you to modify its content, you can change it opening the sdlxliff file in any text editor. I recommend an XML-aware one like Notepad++. You would need to find your segment and the ID of the tag you want to modify. In the case of locked content, it starts with "lockTU_". Then you should look for that same ID somewhere above your segment (it should be inside a trans-unit element) and edit its content there. Or if you are sure there is no ambiguity, just search directly for the piece of text you need to edit and forget about the IDs.

This is not ideal, of course, and there is always the chance of breaking up the XML structure if you are not careful, so if you think this may become a common practice it may be worth asking your client to not lock this content in the future.

chatterjee88
India
Local time: 15:30
Member (2015)
English to Bengali
Unlock Segment Sep 22, 2015

Hi,

Right Click on the Lock or cell and scroll down and there is option "Unlock segment".

Thanks

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Segment is already unlocked Sep 22, 2015

The segment itself is already unlocked. Inside the segment there is text surrounded by tags and before the leading tag there is a lock symbol and after the trailing tag there is another lock symbol. It's just the text between the tags that cannot be edited, other text outside of the tags can be edited.

Ben

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's a workaround Sep 22, 2015

Manuel Arcedillo wrote:

Hi,

If you are sure your client needs you to modify its content, you can change it opening the sdlxliff file in any text editor. I recommend an XML-aware one like Notepad++. You would need to find your segment and the ID of the tag you want to modify. In the case of locked content, it starts with "lockTU_". Then you should look for that same ID somewhere above your segment (it should be inside a trans-unit element) and edit its content there. Or if you are sure there is no ambiguity, just search directly for the piece of text you need to edit and forget about the IDs.

This is not ideal, of course, and there is always the chance of breaking up the XML structure if you are not careful, so if you think this may become a common practice it may be worth asking your client to not lock this content in the future.

Hi Manuel,

As you said it is a workaround and it's not ideal. But thanks for the tip. I have modified it in a text editor and reopened it in Studio and all is well. I had thought that there would be a Studio solution to the problem, but apparently there isn't.

Ben

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Possibly an unwanted workaround! Sep 22, 2015

Hi Ben,

If content is locked like this then it should be because the client wanted it this way. You should definitiely confirm this with your client first as they may be able to correct the files they send you if they did this by mistake.

I would not recommending doing this in the xliff at all. It is not intended to be edited at all and this is why Studio doesn't alloow you to change it. The protection is caused during the creation of the xliff based on parser rules for the xml.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Checked with client Sep 22, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Hi Ben,

If content is locked like this then it should be because the client wanted it this way. You should definitiely confirm this with your client first as they may be able to correct the files they send you if they did this by mistake.

I would not recommending doing this in the xliff at all. It is not intended to be edited at all and this is why Studio doesn't alloow you to change it. The protection is caused during the creation of the xliff based on parser rules for the xml.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

I've just checked with the client and they said it was done that way for their own internal reasons, but they didn't say what they were. They also confirmed that the content that was locked did need to be changed, but if it caused me a problem they would be willing to do it at their end if I could flag up the segments and the changes needed. It was only two segments this time so it was relatively easy. I've been working with this company for more than 8 years now and this is the first time it has cropped up, so perhaps it will not crop up again.

Thanks.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing locked cell content

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search