https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/291886-cant_save_to_target_urgent.html

Can't save to target (Urgent!!!)
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 23, 2015

I just finished a translation (Studio 2014) which I have to deliver in Word. When I try to save the target (cleaning), I get the message "Missing TAG"+ the name of missing tag. When I look at the segment, I see the name of the "missing" tag (which is actually a link to a site), but no real TAGS, in short, it looks fine by me.

I inserted the link directly from the source text, but still the same. It seems to be a "File writing"(whatever that is).

Is there anybody who cou
... See more
I just finished a translation (Studio 2014) which I have to deliver in Word. When I try to save the target (cleaning), I get the message "Missing TAG"+ the name of missing tag. When I look at the segment, I see the name of the "missing" tag (which is actually a link to a site), but no real TAGS, in short, it looks fine by me.

I inserted the link directly from the source text, but still the same. It seems to be a "File writing"(whatever that is).

Is there anybody who could please tell me how I clean the text? I have to send the Word file to the client, and don't know how to solve this problem.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
copy the segment with the tag Sep 23, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Is there anybody who could please tell me how I clean the text? I have to send the Word file to the client, and don't know how to solve this problem.

I would copy the English segment with the tag in the target segment, save it and then translate the English phrase in microsoft word..

[Edited at 2015-09-23 14:14 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Bruno Sep 23, 2015

Did that already, result is the same (unfortunately)

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
French to English
Close and reopen Sep 23, 2015

If you didn't use insert source, this is a common problem. Did you manually copy and paste or did you use the "insert source" function? If you used manual copy/paste, then go back, clear the segment (clear target), and use the insert source function. If that's already what you did, and the file will save, close out of Studio completely and reopen everything and try to save as target again. If that doesn't work, try using insert source, leave the segment untouched (in source language) and transla... See more
If you didn't use insert source, this is a common problem. Did you manually copy and paste or did you use the "insert source" function? If you used manual copy/paste, then go back, clear the segment (clear target), and use the insert source function. If that's already what you did, and the file will save, close out of Studio completely and reopen everything and try to save as target again. If that doesn't work, try using insert source, leave the segment untouched (in source language) and translate it manually in the cleaned target file. If you have to resort to this, alert the client as to the potential issue with the TM.

[Edited at 2015-09-23 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

Marika Di Stefano
Marika Di Stefano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Copy-paste perhaps? Sep 23, 2015

Dear Robert,
I don't know how long is your document, but if the problem is delivering the Word file, maybe you can copy all segments (selecting them all only once) in Trados and paste them in a .doc file... I did it sometimes... Best regards, Marika

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work either Sep 23, 2015

Jenae Spry wrote:

If you didn't use insert source, this is a common problem. Did you manually copy and paste or did you use the "insert source" function? If you used manual copy/paste, then go back, clear the segment (clear target), and use the insert source function. If that's already what you did, and the file will save, close out of Studio completely and reopen everything and try to save as target again. If that doesn't work, try using insert source, leave the segment untouched (in source language) and translate it manually in the cleaned target file. If you have to resort to this, alert the client as to the potential issue with the TM.

[Edited at 2015-09-23 14:31 GMT]

Did that, Ctrl-Ins, also tried to close and open everything, even in 2015 (instead of 2014), but didn't work.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last resort Sep 23, 2015

Marika Di Stefano wrote:

Dear Robert,
I don't know how long is your document, but if the problem is delivering the Word file, maybe you can copy all segments (selecting them all only once) in Trados and paste them in a .doc file... I did it sometimes... Best regards, Marika

That is always possible, but I see it as a absolute last resort. This text is about +1700 words, but is full with windows and boxes, so the layout is totally gone (incl. colours and bold and italic text).

[Edited at 2015-09-23 19:17 GMT]

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Hmmm, the boxes Sep 23, 2015

It seems a box is doing this. Try to remove the box where the problematic text appears, save the file, launch in Studio and pretranslate. Then add the box again in the final file.
or
Try saving the source file in another format (if doc save to docx or v.v.).

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
New plan -- retranslate Sep 23, 2015

Definitely not ideal. Try to create a new project/file and then go segment by segment to translate using the TM you created (and just insert source for that segment...do not translate or use TM). Ideally, use a different Studio version or different computer in case that software installation has become corrupt (that happened on one of my computers).

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Sep 23, 2015

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

It seems a box is doing this. Try to remove the box where the problematic text appears, save the file, launch in Studio and pretranslate. Then add the box again in the final file.
or
Try saving the source file in another format (if doc save to docx or v.v.).

Thanks, but no succes

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did that Sep 23, 2015

Jenae Spry wrote:

Definitely not ideal. Try to create a new project/file and then go segment by segment to translate using the TM you created (and just insert source for that segment...do not translate or use TM). Ideally, use a different Studio version or different computer in case that software installation has become corrupt (that happened on one of my computers).

But also no succes

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved!!!! Sep 23, 2015

Studio underlined the wrong segment. Tag was missing in another segment.

The layout in this case is:
TITLE
LINK XXXXXXXX
LINK XXXXXXXX (same link by the way)

Studio indicated that the TAG error was in the last link, but it was in the title. Maybe ABC for Studio experts, but ABRACADABRA for me.

I want to thank everybody for his/her feedback.

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
Yay! Sep 23, 2015

Glad you got it worked out

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't save to target (Urgent!!!)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »