Thread poster: Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 10:48
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2015

I'm curious about what people consider "must-have" apps/plugins from Open Exchange.
For me, the most critical one is the SDLXLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office, which allows me to re-import edited bilingual DOCX back into SDLXLIFFS.
It works far better than the re-import functionality integrated in Studio 2015, which so far hasn't worked a single time ("Adding new content outside a segment is not supported").

Another great plugin is Web Lookup, which facilitates looking
... See more
I'm curious about what people consider "must-have" apps/plugins from Open Exchange.
For me, the most critical one is the SDLXLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office, which allows me to re-import edited bilingual DOCX back into SDLXLIFFS.
It works far better than the re-import functionality integrated in Studio 2015, which so far hasn't worked a single time ("Adding new content outside a segment is not supported").

Another great plugin is Web Lookup, which facilitates looking up terms on your favorite terminology/research website.
The only unfortunate problem is that you can't set it to automatically do a Web Lookup whenever you do a concordance search.

What other crucial apps/plugins are there that I'm missing out on?

[Edited at 2015-09-24 06:14 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:48
French to English
+ ...
Good question! Sep 24, 2015

It would be nice to have a dedicated forum thread on this topic, since it is very easy to miss the big time savers.

Here are mine:

- Menu Maker - allows me to load the must-have apps and keeps them available for use whenever needed.
- SDL Batch Find and Replace - this is less critical in 2015, where I can "merge" files by selecting them without having to actually merge them.

- Glossary converter. Once in a long while, but good.

I also l
... See more
It would be nice to have a dedicated forum thread on this topic, since it is very easy to miss the big time savers.

Here are mine:

- Menu Maker - allows me to load the must-have apps and keeps them available for use whenever needed.
- SDL Batch Find and Replace - this is less critical in 2015, where I can "merge" files by selecting them without having to actually merge them.

- Glossary converter. Once in a long while, but good.

I also liked the color scheme app for making Trados a little more visually interesting, but it required confirming its "unsigned" status each time, and I got tired of this.

What is "the re-import functionality integrated in Studio 2015"?

Are you talking about the "retrofitting function?". I tried that one once and it was not really worth the bother. Hope they improve it.

We should keep this thread alive (by posting in it every now and then).

Thanks for posting, Henning!

Best regards,

Sandra

NB
Forgot to mention the plugin installer app. No more futzing around with zip files!

[Edited at 2015-09-24 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The bilingual export/import Sep 24, 2015

No, I'm talking about the bilingual export for review function.
The export works, the import doesn't. Thank you for mentioning the glossary creator. I had forgotten about that. It's extremely useful given the nightmarish GUI of Multiterm.

Israel
French to English
+ ...
Bilingual imports? Sep 24, 2015

I use the bilingual review export all the time. With one or two notable exceptions, imports seem to work just fine.

Try with other files, maybe your specific file had particular issues.

HTH,

Sandra

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bilingual import hasn't worked the last dozen times at least Sep 24, 2015

The import function never works for me. I always try it, and I can't remember the last time it worked. Maybe last year.

Israel
French to English
+ ...
One possible cause... Sep 24, 2015

Don't change the end of the file name of the edited file!

IOW, the file name should END as .docx.review.

Don't add any suffixes after [.review]!

You can change the file name by adding a prefix.
HTH,
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the best OEX apps/plugins?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »