Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 25, 2015

Hello everyone

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have an untranslated SDLXLIFF file. I create a new project, and I add that file to the project. Then I open the project, and I export for external review. I then open the review DOCX file and add stuff to the target column. I then close MS Word, open Trados 2015 again, open the project, and select to update from external review. However, the target column remains empty. There are no error messages.

One thing I'd still like to try is to populate the target column with the source text before exporting for external review. What is the shortcut or the menu sequence for doing that in Trados 2015?

Does it matter whether tracked changes is on or off in the DOCX file when you update from external review?

Does it matter whether the updates in the DOCX file are in tracked changes or not?

Thanks
Samuel

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No empty target segments allowed Sep 25, 2015

As you suspected, you can't have empty target segments before you export.
Use the shortcut Alt+shift+Ins to copy all source to target.

As far as I can remember external review handles TCs well.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Sep 30, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
As you suspected, you can't have empty target segments before you export.
Use the shortcut Alt+shift+Ins to copy all source to target.

Thanks, I did that on the day that I wrote the first post, and it worked. But today it won't work again. I've added the source text to the target fields, but they are marked as "not translated". Must they be marked as something else, for import from external review to work? When I import from external review, I get no error messages, but the updated text does not appear in the target fields.

Added:
Rebooting the computer, changing the target text first to "Draft", and trying to import the files one by one, all don't work. I even tried creating a new project and put the SDLXLIFF files from the package project into that new project, but Trados refuses to update from external review. It also gives no warnings or error messages while importing. I'm at my wits end... I've spent 4 hours experimenting/troubleshooting (despite having a looming deadline) with a feature that is supposed to "just work". I'm afraid I've reached the point where I can barely just make my deadline if I paste the text from the DOCX file into Trados manually, segment by segment.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 10:43 GMT]

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Try changing the status Sep 30, 2015

In case of empty segments - for instance segments can't be merged because they were broken in the original, I copy/paste them together (edit source), so that one of them remains empty:

1. I change the segment status to "Signed off" - which is a status I never use otherwise.
2. I lock the segment, so I don't have to see it again.

In my experience, this exports/imports files to review and back without problem.

Please note, however, that when exporting the file into the final output, this empty segment will probably cause a hard return, so check the final page layout.

PS I didn't quite understand your added procedures and why you did them.

HTH,

Sandra

[Edited at 2015-09-30 18:32 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sandra Sep 30, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:
In case of empty segments - for instance segments can't be merged because they were broken in the original, I copy/paste them together (edit source), so that one of them remains empty...

Thanks, but this is not my problem. When I try to update from external review, Trados doesn't give me any error messages about segments being broken or suchlike. If the problem does lie with something like what you describe, then I would have no way of telling which segment the problem segment is.

I didn't quite understand your added procedures and why you did them.

The added procedures are simply things that I have tried. I have no idea what is wrong with Trados, so I'm assuming that I must change something, but I don't know what. So I try various things, to see if it works. For example, I reboot the computer -- sometimes that solves a problem. Or, I create a brand new project -- sometimes there's something wrong with the old project, and creating a new one fixes the problem.

My problem, in case you don't understand it, is that when I try to update the target segments in my SDLXLIFF file, using a bilingual review DOCX file in which I edited the target fields, Trados does not update the segments in the SDLXLIFF file.

I'm using a workaround at this time: I exported the translation to TMX, so I can edit the TMX directly, and then use pre-translate to update the SDLXLIFF file from the TMX file again. I hope it works.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
What can go wrong Sep 30, 2015

Samuel, have you read Paul's article on this?
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

By the way, the segment status shouldn't affect the external review workflow. The target segments just need to have something in them, even if it's in draft status.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Emma Sep 30, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Samuel, have you read Paul's article on this?
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

I've reread it, but none of the "things that can go wrong" apply to me, except perhaps this one:

Inline elements/attributes that have been locked at source can inconsistently cause a failure to import.

How do I check if that applies to my files?

Paul also mentions two workarounds, but the first one is actually exactly what I'm doing (I'm copying the target column from one DOCX file into another one), and the second one is not an option for me because it relates to creating a TMX file with broken tags, and then you have to fix the tags manually.

By the way, the segment status shouldn't affect the external review workflow. The target segments just need to have something in them, even if it's in draft status.

Thanks for confirming.

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
FWIW - Empty target segments Oct 1, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
The target segments just need to have something in them, even if it's in draft status.

@Emma,

This may have been the case with earlier versions of Trados. I remember way back making sure to leave one period in empty targets precisely for this reason, and then chasing the period in the final copy. This is not necessary any more.

I use this feature on a regular basis - since merging segments over paragraph marks is still problematic, for example. Changing the status and locking the item is my way of removing it from relevance.

If anyone is interested, I can send screen captures of imported files with review changes and empty target segments.
I don't believe I am the lucky exception to the rule.

icon_smile.gif
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015 won't update from external review

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search