spamalot
Germany
Local time: 04:47
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2015

Hi,
After having received a good offer on a group buy for the upgrade, I couldn't resist and upgrade - thus also by now deactivating my 2014 license - I paid, I got 2 emails from SDL, but my account (where the emails told me to go) shows no upgrades and no new licenses.
The support of the group buy from a top-10 language provider is not responding directly. I am totally panicked. I have jobs over the weekend. Where is my stuff? They have the money and there is nothing but a 30-day trial version of 15, which does not have all features!
What is up with that? Help! Anyone???
Thanks,
Spamalot

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try to reactivate 2014 Sep 25, 2015

If you have deactivated 2014 without activating 2015, you should be able to reactivate 2014, so that you can still work while you wait for the activation code for 2015.

At least this is what I would try. Hope that you eventually will get your activation code for 2015, but when you do, I'd advice you not to deactivate 2014, as you can have both 2014 and 2015 activated on the same machine. If you deactivate 2014 after you have activated 2015, though, you can't return to 2014.

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked in step 1 Sep 25, 2015

Thanks! I just reactivated 2014 but there is no response from the top-10 provider type sales person no. 2, is still not responding after no. 1 was just being unfriendly to my question of whether this particular group buy might affect my license status as an independent buyer of the product (so to avoid being tied to any one of the agencies) responded to my query like I was from Mars or something.
This is just so annoying me. When the Windows upgrade was so easy, why would the Trados upgrade be a pain? I cannot understand it - and I can neither understand why I didn't mention the pain of Trados upgrades in the silly survey that I recently filled out for SDL.
Someone please tell me that I did not buy a test version for 100 EUR today, anyone?
Thanks, humbly me for not being an IT developer and a mere plain stupid user - albeit one who instructed WordPerfect BEFORE there was Windows 3.11! Maybe my computer stupidity is owing to the fact that I am a translator?
Thanks for any hints anyone might have in this regard and all who also feel pain about this - I feel your pain- Spamalot

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
More advice Sep 25, 2015

In addition to Roy's advice, check out Paul Filkin's post on how to upgrade a 2014 license:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/02/first-things-first/

spamalot wrote:
there is nothing but a 30-day trial version of 15, which does not have all features!
Spamalot

In any case, don't worry about working with the trial version. It's the full-blown professional version (not just the freelance version) so in fact it has more features, not fewer.

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good god, who would've known! Sep 25, 2015

Hi again,
Thanks for this piece of advice. I cannot even see the upgrade type points that are shown on the screenshot of the contribution in your link on my SDL account! There is absolutely nothing there. It was the first or second thing I checked after a google search on how to do this (I upgrade Trados regularly, why do I always have to go through this???).
Since I have reactivated 2014 by now, I am writing to the vendor manager of the client offering the group buy because the designated sales staff didn't want to understand my non-developer remark of "I understand that participation in this deal would not change the status of my license as such that is my own personal one, correct?" Whereupon they claimed not to be sure what I might have possibly on the face of this earth and in light of the almighty have meant by that.
Not sure, maybe I should change jobs to IT developer because my language is incomprehensible.
--> simply short of hysteria. Thanks for the pointer on 2015 being usable as trial, BUT I did not BUY a trial. I bought the fully blown version. I'll post as soon as I get a response - prob on Monday - from vendor management.
THANKS!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Group Upgrade from Trados 14 to 15 - prior license not recognized

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search