Trados Studio 2015: How can I define default project paths?
Thread poster: Katja Heimann-Kiefer

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Local time: 21:45
English to German
Sep 30, 2015

Hi all,

yesterday I installed Trados Studio 2015 and am setting it up now.

I have my own way of organising files and projects on my computer and would therefore like to change the default paths, most importantly where Trados saves new projects.

Instead of using the folder where I stored my previous project I would like to define one path that never changes and will always be suggested when I start a new project.
How can I do this?

Bonus question: Is there a way to set a different path than the standard Windows "Documents" folder for Trados templates? That general folder is for private stuff, I keep all my work on a different drive and find it very unfortunate to have work stuff sitting amidst private files.

Thanks,
Katja

www.kiefheim.de

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio uses the path in your template Sep 30, 2015

Katja

When you create a project, Studio gives you the opportunity to indicate the path for the project folder. This is stored in your project template, which means that Studio will store all projects created with this template in the same path. You can have as many project templates as you want, which allows you to use differents settings depending on your needs.

Walter

P.S.: you can edit the properties of an existing template by going to "File - Setup - Project templates".

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-17 09:21 GMT]

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, it works the other way round! Sep 30, 2015

Hi Walter,

thanks for your quick reply.

When you create a project, Studio gives you the opportunity to indicate the path for the project folder. This is stored in your project template, which means that Studio will store all projects created with this template in the same path.

Well, yes. But that behaviour was part of the problem because that path updates depending on the previous project. I want it to always stay the same.

I played around with it some more and found a workaround. Ironically, it works not using a default template but a previous project: I created a dummy default project in my projects directory, and it seems that when I always create new projects based on this, then it suggests the path that I want. (Which means that I will have to permanently keep a folder with that dummy default project in my projects directory. Hmph.)

Is there an easier, more comfortable way?

I don't know why they are making this so complicated. In Word, for example, I can specify one default save path, and that's it, it will always be used. In my opinion, that's pretty basic functionality.

P.S.: you can edit the properties of an existing template by going to "File - Setup - Project templates"

I know, but there's no option to edit the default path.

And would anybody have a suggestion for my earlier "bonus question"?

Thanks,
Katja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2015: How can I define default project paths?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search