spamalot
Germany
Local time: 09:17
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2015

Hello,
I deleted old versions of Trados today (like 2007 etc.)
In result, all - absolutely all - Trados file types (including new ones of 2015) failed to display as what they are (in Windows), e.g. "Return Package". In addition, all file icons were gone.

So I made the mistake and set "open with Trados 2015" for the packages. Then I realized that I can now no longer distinguish between incoming and outgoing packages.

Beforehand, I had made the crucial mistake in the process: not thinking that Win 10 requires manual setting of recovery points, I failed to do that and cannot restore yesterday's status.

So, then I tried twice reinstalling Trados and nothing improved. Windows is now neither displaying e.g. "Trados Studio return package" nor the proper icon. The only thing that still shows correctly is TMs.

I have searched the web for hours but this problem does not seem to exist.
Does anyone happen to have any clue about this?

Many thanks,
spamalot

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do a repair of Studio Oct 1, 2015

When you uninstall Studio, this removes the file extension associations in Windows. This means that when you uninstall an older Studio version, the newer version that is installed is not associated anymore with the file extensions, such as .sdlxliff, sdlproj, etc. and Windows does not know which program to call to open these files.

You can however easily solve this problem by running a repair of the current Studio version that you are using.

Walter

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably a Win 10 problem Oct 1, 2015

Thanks for the pointer, Walter,
unfortunately this didn't do the trick - I have browsed some more hours and found out unintelligible instructions on how to get Windows 10 to change file icons, which I cannot implement because I don't get it. There is no way Windows 10 lets a user change file attributions and/or icons for files.
Therefore, I believe this is a Win 10 problem.icon_frown.gif
I even de/reactivated my license, which also didn't work.
I found the proper icons in the Trados directories where they should be but that doesn't get me anywhere because Win 10 lets you only change application specific things and all of these file types are inside of Trados, so there does not seem to be anything I can do.
This makes me very sad.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File types - all Trados packages and single translation file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search