How to add a translation memory in Studio 2015 STARTER
Thread poster: Daniel Arnold

Daniel Arnold
Local time: 02:00
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2015

Hi, I have just bought trados studio 2015 STARTER and need to translate German to English. I indicated that language pair on setup. However I am unable to add any translation memory. The system always says "The translation provider does not support any language pair or language template in this project". What does that mean ? Why can't I add or open the English/German translation memory ??
Thanks for your help !

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You have to create a translation memory Oct 2, 2015

When you set up a project, even if you use the default template, you have to import or create a TM.

There is no TM provided with Trados, unless it comes with a small demo - and then it is entirely based on the demo.

I cannot explain in detail here, but if you set up a project, you will be asked to add file(s) - the source text in German that you want to translate. At the next stage, you can create or add a TM.

It may be easiest to create a new TM - simply follow the wizard and accept the defaults.

Your TM will be empty, but as you translate, it will store your translation and any repeats will appear.

If your client has sent you a TM (with a small yellow and green icon), then instead of creating one, click on 'Add' instead of creating a TM, and you will be ale to browse to it and add it.

If the client has sent you a .tmx file, then create an empty TM, and click on the icon that appears. You should then be able to import the .tmx file.

Otherwise simply follow the wizard, accepting defaults, to set up the rest of the project, and start translating in the EDIT view with an empty TM.

Hope this helps - I am on the move and can't check my own Studio. I have never used the demo version, but I understand it works like the full version.

Best of luck with Studio - there is a lot to learn at the beginning, but it is certainly worth the effort IMHO!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a translation memory in Studio 2015 STARTER

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search