Thread poster: Daniel Arnold

Daniel Arnold
Germany
Local time: 03:47
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2015

Hi, I have just bought trados studio 2015 STARTER and need to translate German to English. I indicated that language pair on setup. However I am unable to add any translation memory. The system always says "The translation provider does not support any language pair or language template in this project". What does that mean ? Why can't I add or open the English/German translation memory ??
Thanks for your help !

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Different language variants? Oct 2, 2015

With the Starter version you'll be using the "translate single document" workflow.
I expect the TM you want to add has a different language variant from the pair you selected in the set-up process for the single document (e.g., EN-GB instead of EN-US).

You might find it helpful to follow the steps in this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/
The screenshots are from Studio 2014, but it applies to 2015 too.

Daniel Arnold
Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM not addable Oct 2, 2015

Thanks Emma,

that's what I thought, and I checked. The document is setup as "German -> English (UK). " in the project settings. The TM available as a file is "English-German" but when I try to use it, to add it via the project settings, it just comes up with a little window telling me "The translation provider does not support any language pair in this project. Consider using AnyTM....". But AnyTM is inactive in the starter version of SDL....
really dont know what to do, will have a look at the link you sent, thank you again !

D

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:47
English to Russian
Try this Oct 2, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/290161-cant_use_tm.html

Daniel Arnold
Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Oct 2, 2015

Thanks, that did not work either. Different message though: "The translation provider does not support this language pair".

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
AnyTM in Starter version Oct 2, 2015

Daniel Schacht wrote:

The document is setup as "German -> English (UK). " in the project settings. The TM available as a file is "English-German"

Right, so you're trying to add a TM in the reverse direction. As Studio has warned you, you can't do that unless you use AnyTM.

The Starter version has AnyTm according to this product comparison:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/index-tab2.html

You can only use one TM in the Starter version, so if you've already added a TM, then maybe that's why this option is greyed out now.

If you haven't added a TM at all to your project, go to Project Settings>Language Pairs>All Language Pairs>Translation memories>Add>AnyTm:Any file-based TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot add translation memory in SDl trados 2015 starter

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search