Thread poster: Ronald van Riet
Ronald van Riet
Ronald van Riet  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 2, 2015

I am trying to install new versions of my old Studio 2014 plugins into my Studio 2015 but SDLPluginInstaller behaves weirdly.

First of all, on the opening screen there is no button to click to proceed but hitting Enter works.

Then on the next screen requesting me to accept the license agreement there seems to be no way of getting it to proceed to install the plugin I have just downloaded (WebLookup in this case)

Can anybody tell me how to proceed from that
... See more
I am trying to install new versions of my old Studio 2014 plugins into my Studio 2015 but SDLPluginInstaller behaves weirdly.

First of all, on the opening screen there is no button to click to proceed but hitting Enter works.

Then on the next screen requesting me to accept the license agreement there seems to be no way of getting it to proceed to install the plugin I have just downloaded (WebLookup in this case)

Can anybody tell me how to proceed from that screen?

thanks

Ronald
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:06
English to Russian
Change monitor settings Oct 2, 2015

to 100%

http://winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/archive/winsupersite.com/content/content/144244/display.jpg

[Edited at 2015-10-02 12:21 GMT]

Ronald van Riet
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
poor design Oct 2, 2015

It would be EXTREMELY poor application design to depend on such settings: with big screens everybody is using larger text. Changing requires a logoff on top of all...

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Don't worry Oct 2, 2015

SDL knows better what is good for you LOL

I share your pain. Accept my condolence for using this product.
-----

To be serious, you install a plugin just once. Then you can switch back to a larger format. I did it, when I faced this problem.
But this is an extremely weak solution, I agree.

[Edited at 2015-10-02 13:00 GMT]

Ronald van Riet
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but everytime Oct 2, 2015

but everytime I want to install a plugin, I will have to do this. Very annoying indeed.

Thanks for the help anyway!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Or do it the easy way.... Oct 2, 2015

... and just place the sdlplugin here:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12\Plugins\Packages\

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Ronald van Riet
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
if it's that simple Oct 2, 2015

why an installer?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Reluctant to discuss Oct 2, 2015

Don't know how to delete my post. Please consider it null and void.

[Edited at 2015-10-02 14:27 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Well, it's not usual to ask people... Oct 2, 2015

Ronald van Riet wrote:

why an installer?

... to copy files to these folders on their machines, especially because these are often hidden folders and then users need to know how to handle that too. The installer makes it possible to download and run and the jobs done. Unfortunately the DPI isue, which affects all of Studio, needs to be addressed to ensure that this works for all users and not just those who don't change the settings of their screen.

But given the effort you have detailed in having to do it this way because of the DPI issue I was just suggesting an easier way to handle it for now.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 18:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
fixed in the open-source version Oct 4, 2015

Ronald van Riet wrote:

but everytime I want to install a plugin, I will have to do this. Very annoying indeed.

Thanks for the help anyway!

This is a bug in the installer and SDL is aware of it. It has been fixed in the open source version of the plugin available as a repo on GitHub (in fact, it was me who contributed the fix, among others). I would imagine it is only a matter of time before the fix gets released as part of an update to Studio, but you never know.

In the meantime, it is possible (at least theoretically) to clone the installer repo and build it using a free version of Microsoft Visual Studio, but this is far from simple and for some people might not be worth the trouble just to get the installer to work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLPluginInstaller not working

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »