Trados 2015: can I pre-translate a file with tracked changes in it?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 6, 2015

Hello everyone

Two related questions:

I'm doing 2nd proofreading on an SDLXLIFF file that initially contained some CM and 100% pretranslated segments (that were marked as "translation approved" and locked) before the translator translated the untranslated segments. The 1st proofreader then unlocked all segments, and made edits to those approved segments, as well as to the newly translated segments, and then marked everything as "translation approved". This means that I have no way of filtering the segments so that only the originally locked segments appear in the view (so that I can revert those edits outright).

1. I do have the original SDLXLIFF file, so my plan is to create a TM from that file, and then pre-translate (CM and 100% matches only) the current version of the file. Am I right that the pre-translation will then overwrite the changes that the 1st proofreader had made, and essentially revert those segments back to how they were?

And: can I perform this pre-translation before having accepted/rejected changes? I've noticed that there are certain actions that I can't perform while a segment has tracked changes in it (e.g. I can't select text and paste something over it, if that text contains tracked changes). Will a pre-translation also fail on segments that have tracked changes in them? In other words, will I be forced to have to first accept all changes, before doing the pre-translation? As you can imagine, I'm hoping for not.

2. Is it possible to do a pre-translation on a translated SDLXLIFF file so that any updated text appears as tracked changes in the updates segments? In other words, if a TM contains a translation that differs by one word, and I use that TM for pre-translation that overwrites existing text, can I make the segment have that one word showing in tracked changes? Or, if not, can I have the entire segment shown as a tracked change?

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can identify segments that were edited, after having accepted all edits and then running a pre-translation against a TM that contains the updated segments.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: can I pre-translate a file with tracked changes in it?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search