Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
French to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2015

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a crisis this morning. When I came to open Studio, it seemed to think I was a new user and all my projects and settings had disappeared, despite my selecting my saved user profile when prompted. At first I thought it must have had an update but it didn't prompt me for my languages as usual.

I've tried to open projects via Open Project, but the project files are shown as empty, although I can see them in Windows Explorer. However, when I open t
... See more
Hello,

I'm having a bit of a crisis this morning. When I came to open Studio, it seemed to think I was a new user and all my projects and settings had disappeared, despite my selecting my saved user profile when prompted. At first I thought it must have had an update but it didn't prompt me for my languages as usual.

I've tried to open projects via Open Project, but the project files are shown as empty, although I can see them in Windows Explorer. However, when I open the file I'm working on (and older files), they open, but I get the message: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" - which means nothing to me at all! The file then closes so I can't work on it. This also happens when I try and set up a new project, but at least I could see, by doing that, that the file I'm working on had been updated by yesterday's TM entries so I shouldn't have lost anything - if I can get it to work!

Does anyone have any idea what's happened here and how I can restore it back to normal? I tried opening Studio on my laptop and that seemed to work fine, although if course it hasn't got the current projects.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks,

Claire

[Edited at 2015-10-07 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Update Oct 7, 2015

Do you know if you have recently installed a Trados update (either manually or automatically)?

I would try restarting your computer first, just in case something went wrong during the startup. Otherwise perhaps try a system restore if you have a recent restore point on your computer to go back to?

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:56
Member (2014)
English to German
Files are not lost Oct 7, 2015

Hello Claire,

I had this problem after installing an update (Service Pack 2, I think).
The project files have been still in the same folder. In my case the default setting: Documents > Studio 2014 > Projects.
A simple double click (.sdlproj file) restored the projects completely.
I hope this helps.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hazel and Silke Oct 7, 2015

I wasn't aware of an update recently, although when I opened Studio on my laptop I did have to perform an update on that as I haven't used it for a while. What's strage is that I can open new projects on the laptop and all works fine, but even if I start a brand new project on the desktop I still get the strange error message I mentioned. It sounds very much as though something has been corrupted. I'll investigate the system restore option, I think. I'm not sure where you mean to doucle click, S... See more
I wasn't aware of an update recently, although when I opened Studio on my laptop I did have to perform an update on that as I haven't used it for a while. What's strage is that I can open new projects on the laptop and all works fine, but even if I start a brand new project on the desktop I still get the strange error message I mentioned. It sounds very much as though something has been corrupted. I'll investigate the system restore option, I think. I'm not sure where you mean to doucle click, Silke? In the directory on the file name?

Sorry to be so dense - I'm in the throes of panic!

Claire
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
xml files may be the culprit Oct 7, 2015

Claire, have you tried deleting the three XML settings files?

First, close Studio. Then go to

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0

and delete these files:
BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml

Then delete the projects.xml file from here:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects

Now try to re-open Studio and populate your project list by browsing to your projects fro
... See more
Claire, have you tried deleting the three XML settings files?

First, close Studio. Then go to

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0

and delete these files:
BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml

Then delete the projects.xml file from here:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects

Now try to re-open Studio and populate your project list by browsing to your projects from inside Studio.

HTH,
Emma
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
File Oct 7, 2015

Try to double-click the file with the ending .sdlproj. In the Windows Explorer window (default: C > Folder "Documents" > Folder "Studio 2014" > Folder "Projects" > your folders with .sdlproj-files.
Even if you had just translated a "single file" in SDL, SDL creates a .sdlproj-file in the "projects"-folder.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Oct 7, 2015

I was hoping you'd be around! Unfortunately, I've tried what you suggest and have the same problem. The file looks as though it's going to open and does, but then I get the error message again: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. When I click OK the file disappears. The same happens when I set up a new project.

Very frustrating! I've tried to do a System Restore as Hazel suggests as I can see there was a Windows update this morning, but the system won't restore
... See more
I was hoping you'd be around! Unfortunately, I've tried what you suggest and have the same problem. The file looks as though it's going to open and does, but then I get the error message again: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. When I click OK the file disappears. The same happens when I set up a new project.

Very frustrating! I've tried to do a System Restore as Hazel suggests as I can see there was a Windows update this morning, but the system won't restore - no idea why. I'm now going to try and delete the update and see if that helps.... otherwise I'll have to log a support ticket. I've been speaking to SDL livechat and they can't suggest anything.

Thanks again,

Claire
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just wondering... Oct 7, 2015

whether it would be worth me trying to deinstall and install Studio again on this computer? If I do that, do I have to hand my licence back before I proceed? I've just tried deleting the Windows Update that I'd noticed this morning in case that had caused the problem, but it made no difference.

Thanks again

(despondently)

Claire

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Repair Studio Oct 7, 2015

Before uninstalling and reinstalling, try repairing Studio through your Windows Control Panel.

If you get to the stage of uninstalling and reinstalling, you don't need to return your license first. But in your case, as you've also been restoring your system (returning it to an earlier point) then I'd return the license, just to be on the safe side.

GTR332
GTR332  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem and can't get it solved Oct 21, 2015

Hi,

Since today, after probably a Studio 2015 or a Windows 7 Update, I can't work in any Studio Project anymore, even not if I am making a brand new project. Same message all the time: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I have Studio 2015 and 2014 and both give me the same error message. I restored my Windows to a restore point a week ago when everything just worked fine ... and I did not solve the problem for me.

Some clever experts here for h
... See more
Hi,

Since today, after probably a Studio 2015 or a Windows 7 Update, I can't work in any Studio Project anymore, even not if I am making a brand new project. Same message all the time: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I have Studio 2015 and 2014 and both give me the same error message. I restored my Windows to a restore point a week ago when everything just worked fine ... and I did not solve the problem for me.

Some clever experts here for help? I am desperate because of deadlines ...

Thanks
Jan
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restore settings Oct 21, 2015

Hi Jan,

Try this link to restore your settings:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4393&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4393

I've no idea what caused it in my case, but Paul Filkin from Trados very kindly helped me to resolve the problem and this was eventually what worked. I was on the
... See more
Hi Jan,

Try this link to restore your settings:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4393&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4393

I've no idea what caused it in my case, but Paul Filkin from Trados very kindly helped me to resolve the problem and this was eventually what worked. I was on the verge of removing Trados from my system and reinstalling it, but this worked in the nick of time!

I hope it helps....

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

GTR332
GTR332  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Dutch
+ ...
Solved Oct 21, 2015

Hello Claire,

Thanks a lot! I saved the link and will use it when needed. For now I managed to solve this problem another way - I deactivated 2 plugins: Word 2007-2016 filter and Regex Match Autosuggest Provider. After a restart my Trados was fine. Hallelujah!

I will continue to work with this configuration for now.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good to know. Oct 21, 2015

I'll try and remember that for future use too. Always worth squirrelling away these little tips to try in such circumstances.

Glad you've got it sorted.

All the best,

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 thinks I'm a new user; project list disappeared

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »