https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/293038-how_can_i_apply_swedish_quotation_marks_instead_of_the_normal_inch_mark_in_studio.html

How can I apply Swedish quotation marks instead of the normal inch mark in Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:59
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2015

How can I apply Swedish quotation marks instead of the normal inch mark in Studio?

If I get a file from my customer full of strings of every row, each beginning and ending with a " sign, as my settings are now in Studio 2014 Studio uses the inch mark " to pretranslate to Swedish, but the correct quotation mark in Swedish is ” (actually doesn't look as it should here in this ProZ.com editor, should be more curled). Is there any way to change this in the settings?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You may try AutoHotkey Oct 10, 2015

Norwegian has the same trouble, except that we use « and » like French, except that French wants a space around the quote marks. I got the tip of using AutoHotkey (you would have to search for it in Google, I am afraid), where you can easily create a script to get " changed to the type of quote marks you want.

Insidentally, I thought Swedish was more or less identical to English in that respect, in that also English translators would prefer curly quotation marks over straight ones
... See more
Norwegian has the same trouble, except that we use « and » like French, except that French wants a space around the quote marks. I got the tip of using AutoHotkey (you would have to search for it in Google, I am afraid), where you can easily create a script to get " changed to the type of quote marks you want.

Insidentally, I thought Swedish was more or less identical to English in that respect, in that also English translators would prefer curly quotation marks over straight ones, but I guess Studio thinks that if the writer has chosen badly and uses the inch marks, then the target should do the same.

You could of course also use search and replace after you have finished the translation too.

But I regretably don't know of any way to change the setting in Studio directly.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
File > Options > File Types > select a file > QuickInsert Oct 11, 2015

As far as I know, the only workaround offered by Studio 2014 itself is File > Options > File Types > select a file > QuickInsert to add smart quotes as a QuickInsert element for each and every file you don't want straight quotes in. It's not ideal but faster than copying and pasting.

Cheers,
Gerard

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 11:59
English to Russian
Changing quotation marks Oct 11, 2015

Hello, Fredrik,

You can use Quotation Magic tool (part of TransTools for Word add-in), which automatically replaces any quotation marks using a specific quotation mark style. It also changes straight apostrophes to curly apostrophes, and uses prime and double prime symbols (for feet and inches) after numbers. However, the tool works on Word documents only, so you would need to make replacements afte
... See more
Hello, Fredrik,

You can use Quotation Magic tool (part of TransTools for Word add-in), which automatically replaces any quotation marks using a specific quotation mark style. It also changes straight apostrophes to curly apostrophes, and uses prime and double prime symbols (for feet and inches) after numbers. However, the tool works on Word documents only, so you would need to make replacements after the document is exported from Studio.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The workarounds... Oct 11, 2015

.... for Studio 2014 are custom keyboard, alt+codes, Quick Insert, OpenExchange or something like AutoHotkey for example. These articles might be helpful:

See more
.... for Studio 2014 are custom keyboard, alt+codes, Quick Insert, OpenExchange or something like AutoHotkey for example. These articles might be helpful:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/10/10/those-dumb-smart-quotes/

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/02/23/quicker-inserts/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
AutoHotkey is application independent Oct 11, 2015

and I seem to remember it is free, so it may be a better choice than Quotation Magic tool. Also, to use TransTools for Word you would have to make an External View document, while AutoHotkey works automatically in Studio. I still think it is the better choice as long as you can't create a global setting for " in Studio.

To me it's a pity SDL demands that you have to do the chance for Quick Insert in each individual file type, which is a great weakness in my view. After all, some se
... See more
and I seem to remember it is free, so it may be a better choice than Quotation Magic tool. Also, to use TransTools for Word you would have to make an External View document, while AutoHotkey works automatically in Studio. I still think it is the better choice as long as you can't create a global setting for " in Studio.

To me it's a pity SDL demands that you have to do the chance for Quick Insert in each individual file type, which is a great weakness in my view. After all, some settings would be language dependent (like this one) and not file type dependent.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I think it came... Oct 11, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

To me it's a pity SDL demands that you have to do the chance for Quick Insert in each individual file type, which is a great weakness in my view. After all, some settings would be language dependent (like this one) and not file type dependent.

... about to ensure only things that were supported by the individual filetypes went into the translation and this can vary between files. Probably a constraint inherited from Trados days.

However, the Quicker Insert app I referred to provides a mechanism for working around it, and in Studio 2015 this app is actually part of the product.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Overlooked that Oct 11, 2015

"However, the Quicker Insert app I referred to provides a mechanism for working around it, and in Studio 2015 this app is actually part of the product."

Excellent! I overlooked that in your message. Downloaded it straight away, and see it added to the ribbon now.

Will be interesting to try it out.

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
With AutoHotkey… Oct 12, 2015

… you can make it.

Have a look at these 2 posts:

http://www.gonduana.com/comillas-con-autohotkey/
http://www.gonduana.com/analisis-de-la-macro-autohotkey-para-comillas/

(sorry, only in Spanish)

You ca
... See more
… you can make it.

Have a look at these 2 posts:

http://www.gonduana.com/comillas-con-autohotkey/
http://www.gonduana.com/analisis-de-la-macro-autohotkey-para-comillas/

(sorry, only in Spanish)

You can dowload a AHK script to get a simple user interface to quickly change the quotation marks.

... Jesús Prieto ...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »