Studio 2014 - Problem with UTF characters when creating new file type
Thread poster: Jalapeno

Jalapeno
Local time: 15:33
English to German
Oct 19, 2015

Hi there,

I've been assigned a large project (150k) words that uses *.yml files. Studio 2014 doesn't recognize those as translateable to, so I decided to create a new file type for the first time ever in my Trados career ...

The files look like this:

string_id1: "Text 1"
string_ide2: "Text 2"

I created a file type based on comma-seperated values, using : as the separator. Works fine, Studio now shows me only the translatable text.

*However*, the text is not in UTF. Characters like ä, ü and é show up garbled. When I open the original files in notepad++, they are fine.

Does anyone know how I can prepare the files for Studio so the special characters show up correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
BOM? Oct 19, 2015

Even though Notepad opens it correctly, the file may not be properly UTF encoded (plaintext editors can usually be set to a default text encoding for opening files).

Are you sure that the file itself has the correct UTF marker?

Trados has some, ah, weaknesses, but bad UTF decoding is unlikely to be among them.
Try resaving the file as UTF-8 from Notepad.

[Edited at 2015-10-19 16:38 GMT]

Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Solved ... Oct 20, 2015

Hi Joakim,

thanks for your reply. I've already solved the problem thanks to Paul from SDL.

You were spot on, the BOMs were the problem - they were missing in most of the source files provided by the client. Some of the files were even encoded as ANSI, some as UNIX, not Windows. I used a tool called File Encoding Converter to encode all files as UTF-8 with BOM ... that fixed the issue.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - Problem with UTF characters when creating new file type

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search