Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:14
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 19, 2015

Is it correct that I need to pay $200 to buy the "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" for Studio 2015 while this (or similar) was a free add-on for Studio 2014?

"Speed up manual translations with subsegement matching in SDL Trados Studio."
http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/

MT autosuggest 2014 add-on
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudiomtautosuggest-668.html

[Edited at 2015-10-19 21:27 GMT]

Alexander Somin  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:14
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
No urgent need to buy it Oct 19, 2015

Hi Lianne,

Studio 2015 autosuggests also without buying this add-on. Just connect your TMs (the current TM and the TMs you may have from previous translations), the [free] SDL Machine Translation (Language Cloud), MyMemory plug-in (disable the TM update), ready-made autosuggest dictionaries you may get free at the SDL App Store, and enable them all with the autosuggest settings. With Studio 2015 thus configured, you wouldn't infringe any NDA.
Buying the Creator may turn out to be redundant for you.

I hope this will help you.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Clarification about AutoSuggest Oct 20, 2015

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Is it correct that I need to pay $200 to buy the "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" for Studio 2015 while this (or similar) was a free add-on for Studio 2014?

No, that's not the case. You're getting (understandably) confused between the Autosuggest engine (which is free) and an AutoSuggest dictionary (which is a paid license).

The $200 license lets you create an AutoSuggest dictionary from your own TMs. This hasn't changed since Studio 2011. (In Studio 2009 it was bundled with the product for free.) It's a very powerful and hugely productive feature, in my opinion.

An AutoSuggest dictionary is just one resource that the AutoSuggest engine draws on. The engine itself also offers suggestions from termbases, autotext lists, and, as Alexander and you mention, from plug-ins such as MT autosuggest.

The AutoSuggest engine has been further developed in Studio 2015 to offer results in real-time from matches in your current TMs and concordance. This is a free feature.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:14
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Autosuggest- Studio 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Hi Lianne,

I have taken a quick look at your account and can confirm you already have AutoSuggest Creator.
When you upgraded from 2014 to 2015 in July, Autosuggest was part of the upgrade offer.

There is absolutely no need to purchase AS.

All you need to now is start creating your own dictionaries (there are also dictionaries available free of charge via our Open Exchange App Store) and enjoy the added benefits of AS.

Kr
SDL_Steve

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:49 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I've had AutoSuggest since 2009 Oct 20, 2015

... and can strongly recommend it.

The personalised dictionaries from my own TMs (and some from trusted colleagues to make up the required volume) are very useful, as they naturally reflect the areas I work with, and even some of my clients' preferences.

In less common language pairs there may not be so many other options available to buy.

While the minimum volume required to create an AS dictionary is now smaller, it is still possible, of course, to use large volumes, and may be an advantage.

I would say it is worth making a new dictionary at intervals to incorporate new material, but I have not yet done so after installing Studio 2015.

Is there any way to eliminate odd quirks?

The dictionary I use most comes up now and then with 'used for weeping' - a typo for 'used for sweeping'??
- plus a few other weird combinations, but among the thousands of useful suggestions, I can't complain!

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:14
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Oct 20, 2015

For the suggestions and explanations. Thanks Steve for checking my license.

Am I understanding it correctly, Emma, that the AutoSuggest engine is not making use of TM content unless you have purchased the AutoSuggest Creator Add-on to make dictionaries (different than termbases?) based on TMs? I can see that that would be a useful add-on.

All I know is that the autosuggest settings and the MT Autosuggest plug-in/add-on in Studio 2014 work excellent for me using termbases (e.g. IATE and my own) and MT api's and I had been checking the specs of this plugin regularly to see when a version for 2015 would be released. But I am beginning to see that I have mixed up some Autosuggest terminology and the MT Autosuggest is just for drawing from MT resources in addition to the built-in Autosuggest settings.

I will be back if I have more questions.

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Different to termbases Oct 21, 2015

Yes, it is different, because the Autosuggest dictionaries you create draw on your own existing translation memories.

If you use the AutoSuggest Creator to create a dictionary, it scans through a TM of your choosing (for example, you may have a TM that you use exclusively for translations relating to one subject, like fishing, astrophysics, book-keeping, whatever) and finds frequently used terms. It's not as exact as a termbase in MultiTerm, but the dictionaries kind of recognise the context and throw out probable options. I've always found it helpful.

The MT Autosuggest in 2014 was great, but it seems to have been killed in favour of a new engine which, as yet, does not work as well. (Apparently an update is underway to improve it).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What doesn't work as well? Oct 21, 2015

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

The MT Autosuggest in 2014 was great, but it seems to have been killed in favour of a new engine which, as yet, does not work as well. (Apparently an update is underway to improve it).

Hi Nick,

This is the first I have heard of this? Studio 2015 has MT AutoSuggest built in so no need to download separate applications for this one. But it is the same thing... so what makes you think it does not work as well?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
AutoSuggest is a generic term for suggesting as you type Oct 21, 2015

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Am I understanding it correctly, Emma, that the AutoSuggest engine is not making use of TM content unless you have purchased the AutoSuggest Creator Add-on to make dictionaries (different than termbases?) based on TMs? I can see that that would be a useful add-on.

Hi Lianne,

There's an article here that explains AutoSuggest and what it is fairly accurately (I hope):

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/01/01/autosuggest/

Since Studio 2015 a couple of things changed:

1. MT AutoSuggest is now part of the product - don't need an app
2. A new TM based AutoSuggest feature was added to the product

The new one is detailed very nicely in this article by Nora Diaz:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.de/2015/06/studio-2015-autosuggest-gets-even-better.html

So you should have no changes to what you had before at all except that you don't need to install MT AutoSuggest (it's already there) and you get a new feature that many users find very useful.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autosuggest feature for Studio 2015

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search