Thread poster: mLaw (X)
mLaw (X)
mLaw (X)
United States
Local time: 21:56
German to English
Oct 21, 2015

Hi everybody,
I would like to make the best use of my existing TMs (existing in both TMX and SDLTM formats) by uploading them to a server that I can access via the "Project Settings -> Add TM" option. It doesn't make a difference if they are all kept separate (i.e. in their original form) or merged into one big TM. The important thing is that it/they can be accessed as a server-based TM by Studio 2014 and the segments will will appear in Studio. I don't want to have to update my TMs from T
... See more
Hi everybody,
I would like to make the best use of my existing TMs (existing in both TMX and SDLTM formats) by uploading them to a server that I can access via the "Project Settings -> Add TM" option. It doesn't make a difference if they are all kept separate (i.e. in their original form) or merged into one big TM. The important thing is that it/they can be accessed as a server-based TM by Studio 2014 and the segments will will appear in Studio. I don't want to have to update my TMs from TMX files each time. It is intended for use by me alone (but an option to share would be good too). Can anybody help me out with a good tip? I tried to do it with the MyMemory plugin, Wordfast anywhere and TM-Town, but had no luck so far. Thanks!!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:56
English
If its only you... Oct 21, 2015

... stick them on dropbox.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you want this... Oct 21, 2015

Patrick O'Mealy wrote:

The important thing is that it/they can be accessed as a server-based TM by Studio 2014

... so a Server-based TM in the true sense of the word then the only solution to be able to use the TMs as Studio intended is to use SDL GroupShare. memsource works quite well, but it's a TMX based TM and you will only ever get 100% matches (which may be enough) and there is a plugin for this on the OpenExchange. I have not seen a plugin for WordfastAnywhere yet or TM-Town, but for memsource there is one for a Freelance solution.

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/memsourcepluginforstudio-529.html#51178

You can read a little more on sharing TMs here:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/12/08/with-a-little-help/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 10:56
TM-Town plugin in development Oct 21, 2015

Hi Patrick,

At TM-Town we are in the beginning stages of creating a plugin with the hope that it will be released by the end of the year. Most likely though the plugin will target the latest version (Studio 2015) and not be backwards compatible as it will make use of some new features / API endpoints that are only available in Studio 2015.

Kevin

mLaw (X)
mLaw (X)
United States
Local time: 21:56
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your help! but there's another question... Oct 22, 2015

Thanks Paul and Kevin!

@ Kevin. I will probably continue using Studio 2014 until it becomes unfeasible to do so any longer, so I will maybe come back to TM-Town at a much later date. Thanks so much!

@ Paul. How does that work with the Dropbox option. Can it be done with a free account, or do I need Pro or Business? I searched thoroughly through the Dropbox website website but couldn't find anything to help me. I have used Dropbox before, but just like the name says to d
... See more
Thanks Paul and Kevin!

@ Kevin. I will probably continue using Studio 2014 until it becomes unfeasible to do so any longer, so I will maybe come back to TM-Town at a much later date. Thanks so much!

@ Paul. How does that work with the Dropbox option. Can it be done with a free account, or do I need Pro or Business? I searched thoroughly through the Dropbox website website but couldn't find anything to help me. I have used Dropbox before, but just like the name says to drop files. How can I connect, i.e. which option do I choose from the drop-down list in Studio 2014?
Thanks for your further help!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I use... Oct 22, 2015

... the free version. When you install dropbox this adds a folder on your local machines that is also connected to your dropbox account. So anything you put in there is synched regularly.

So if you put your TMs in a folder on dropbox they will be available from any machine connected to that dropbox account. There are limitations if you share with others so it's great for you, or one or two people, but as you add users the TMs can lock and become corrupted as there are no controls
... See more
... the free version. When you install dropbox this adds a folder on your local machines that is also connected to your dropbox account. So anything you put in there is synched regularly.

So if you put your TMs in a folder on dropbox they will be available from any machine connected to that dropbox account. There are limitations if you share with others so it's great for you, or one or two people, but as you add users the TMs can lock and become corrupted as there are no controls over the writing of data as you have with true server based solutions like GroupShare.

You will also find that the larger the TM, the longer it takes to update on other machines. If it's just you this woill be unlikely to be a problem because by the time you login from another computer the update will probably be complete.

But if you share TMs in realtime this may, or may not, be a problem. To get around that I'd leave all the TMs as read only and use a new empty TM for the project so it updates quickly and then update the other TM(s) when the job is done.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for optimum TM integration with Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »