Studio Wishlist: Improving "Export for Bilingual Review"
Thread poster: Stefan Keller

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:11
English to German
Oct 26, 2015

Hi all,

Call me a dinosaur, but I do both proofing of my own translations and reviewing other people's translations on paper. That's why I "abuse" the 'Export for Bilingual Review' function for my *internal* proofing requirements to get the Studio contents into a printable file.
However, there are two things that really slow me down here:

1) With each and every project, I have to change the 5 list boxes for the colour highlighting of segment statuses all over again. Could you please change this in such a way that the color boxes will "remeber" what I selected for the previous export and remain the same until I deliberately change them again? This would speed up things a lot.

2) As some other translators already requested: Please allow exporting multiple xliffs into ONE Word document (just as MemoQ does). At least as an additional check box, for example, so the original functionality of having one doc per xliff is preserved for those who want/need to re-import them, but at the same time, a merged doc containing all xliffs is created on top.

Thanks a lot!
Stefan

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
A fellow jurassic here Oct 26, 2015

I've posted similar questions previously, so I do welcome your request!

I don't understand your problems with colours exactly, but you could maybe explain at your earlies convenience.

As for myself, it could be a good idea to be able to make an export for review that doesn't contains repetitions or CM/100% and numbers only.
AND to make sure that the charts in Word have the SAME width in ALL files, so you don't need to change width manually EVERY time.

And I also think I'm one of the only left that does controls on paper.
By the way, I sometimes also change font and sort in another order, so what comes at the end of the digital version is maybe in the middle in the paper version. Else my eyes would keep be tired "over the same sentences".

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Colour settings are remembered in the project template Oct 26, 2015

Stefan Keller wrote:

1) With each and every project, I have to change the 5 list boxes for the colour highlighting of segment statuses all over again. Could you please change this in such a way that the color boxes will "remeber" what I selected for the previous export and remain the same until I deliberately change them again? This would speed up things a lot.
Stefan

Stefan

These settings are remembered. They are stored in your project settings (under the "Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memories and Automated Translation - Batch processing - Export for external review"). Just make sure that the settings correspond to what you want in the project template you use to create the project and - in case you use "Translate Single Document" - in the project template "Default" and you will always get the same settings.

Walter

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Oct 26, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

These settings are remembered. They are stored in your project settings (under the "Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memories and Automated Translation - Batch processing - Export for external review"). Just make sure that the settings correspond to what you want in the project template you use to create the project and - in case you use "Translate Single Document" - in the project template "Default" and you will always get the same settings.

Walter

Thanks a lot. One less thing to worry abouticon_wink.gif
I wouldn't have found this solution myself, since I expected these colour settings to be application-wide instead of project specific.

Best regards,
Stefan

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
The way I deal with CM/Repetitions Oct 26, 2015

viking modena wrote:

As for myself, it could be a good idea to be able to make an export for review that doesn't contains repetitions or CM/100% and numbers only.

There's no way to entirely skip these segments in the export afaik, but at least you can have them highlighted by locking the segments you don't need to review before exporting the file. The trick here is filtering/locking.

For example, in the Editor select the View filter "Context Matches", then lock all segments. Then select "Excluding first occurrences" from the Repetitions category, and lock all segments (you might need to toggle the lock/unlock state first, in case the previously locked CM matches did also contain repetitions).
Continue for each segment type you want to ignore, then do the Export for Bilingual Review. All locked segments will be dark grey in the Word file.

If you have MemoQ, there's an even better way: Do the filtering/locking stuff in Studio as described above and save the Xliff(s). Open the Xliff(s) in MemoQ and select "Export > Export Bilingual" and select the "Two column RTF" check box. Click "Next" (NOT "Export" yet). If you have multiple Xliffs, you can export all of them into one Word file by selecting "Export all selected documents in a single RTF file". To skip the locked segments, unselect "Include locked segments in export". The latter two options unfortunately do not exist in Studio but would help a lot!

Regards,
Stefan

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Dark grey helps (a little) Oct 26, 2015

I know.... but you cannot search/replace "bottom colour" in Word, only "text" colour, as far as I know.
Anyway, I can sort segments in "match" order, so I get all CM's close to each other, manually delete those rows (as well as 100% or 99%) and then sort back in number order to get the original flow.

But this takes time, specially when you have to deal with multiple files.

Therefore it would be great to have them "out" automatically. It shouldn't be so difficult for Studio programmers, once they can connect a different colour to different match value!

[Edited at 2015-10-26 16:20 GMT]

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Use Excel then Oct 26, 2015

viking modena wrote:

I know.... but you cannot search/replace "bottom colour" in Word, only "text" colour, as far as I know.

Copy/Paste the columns from Word to Excel, filter by background colour in Excel, copy/paste back into a new Word file, and the dark gray cells are gone.

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:41
Member (2013)
English to Hindi
+ ...
One moer item in wishlist! Oct 26, 2015

I face a different and rather peculiar problem with Trados 2014 (may be it has more to do with my language pair or font - Hindi Language, Hindi Unicode Font).

Whenever I export bilingual Docx file and edit them on MS-Word, if the amount of editing is large enough, Trados simply refuse to import the docx file back, shows some error messages, sometime even about those segments which have not been edited at all.

Sometime I prefer to (or say I wish to) translate in exported MS-word file, as some settings in MS-word offer much more typing convenience than Trados, specially when there are not much repetition or no repetition at all.

But I remains a wish only, as at numerous occasions I have inflicted the pain on myself of docx file not being imported back. Thus now not daring enough to choose this route any more.

I don't consider myself an admirer of Wordfast (may be due to my inadequate knowledge about it). But when it comes to exporting and the importing edited bilingual docx file, Trados seems a pre-historic software in compare to Wordfast and a no match for it.

All I wish is only if I could get bilingual export and import function in Trados as efficient and powerful as of Wordfast, it could smooth my work flow to a great extent.

Please do share your experience and feedback in same regard.

Thanks
Ashish

[Edited at 2015-10-26 17:48 GMT]

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No luck with Packages, though Oct 30, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Stefan

These settings are remembered. They are stored in your project settings (under the "Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memories and Automated Translation - Batch processing - Export for external review").

Walter

Hi Walter,

Unfortunately, this does not help when working with Packages sent by the client (which is the case in the vast majority of projects I'm working on). The Project Settings will always be the way the client sets it up. While this makes sense for TM, TB, Lookup and Penalty settings, it does not make sense if the client determines how my bilingual review files are formatted, I think. So I still think that making this an application-level setting would be more sensible.

I also have the "Apply Studio Project Template" Add-in. So I created a new template with all colours set to "Transparent" and applied this template to a project created from a package, leaving everything as "Keep" and setting "Overwrite" only for "Batch Processing and File Types" > "All language pairs". However, I still end up with the default colour selections when exporting for bilingual review.
This is very, very time consuming ...

Regards,
Stefan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Wishlist: Improving "Export for Bilingual Review"

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search