Alignment of documents in Studio 2015 SR1
Thread poster: Ben Senior

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:40
German to English
Oct 27, 2015

Hi everybody,

Is it at all possible in Studio 2015 SR1 to select multiple segments when doing an alignment and confirm them simultaneously instead of confirming just single segment pairs?

Were there any changes to document alignment in Studio 2015 over Studio 2014?

Regards.
Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Cutazzo
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
I have to disappoint you Nov 17, 2015

Alignment in Studio 2015 ist exactly the same like Studio 2014.
I'm very disappointed, too. You can only edit the alignment pair by pair. The alignment is a very good idea, if you don't need editing and the very good automatic function is enough for your documents, but it looks like SDL, had no real documents nor real translators to test the edit function. Aligning is not really advantageous, if you have to edit the alignment so long. It could have been easier and faster.

Regards,

Francesco

[Edited at 2015-11-17 07:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-17 07:42 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Currently you can only align segment by segment ... Nov 17, 2015

... although you can connect a source segment with more than one target segment (up to 3 max.). However, as you correctly pointed out, you cannot select a series of segments and confirm them all in one operation.

I agree that the current functions of the Alignment Editor are not really satisfactory and less user friendly than the old WinAlign program was.

Fortunately, and this is the good news: I can also inform you that SDL is aware of this, has recognised that the current solution is far from optimal and is working on an improved version of the Alignment Editor to be released with one of the next releases of Studio.

So, my advice is: be patient and stay tuned.

Walter

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's good news Nov 18, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Fortunately, and this is the good news: I can also inform you that SDL is aware of this, has recognised that the current solution is far from optimal and is working on an improved version of the Alignment Editor to be released with one of the next releases of Studio.

So, my advice is: be patient and stay tuned.

Walter

That is extremely good news Walter and thank you for the "information". That leaves just one question "When?", but neither you nor nobody else outside of SDL knows the answer to that question.

Ben

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Even SDL doesn't know yet ... Nov 18, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:
That is extremely good news Walter and thank you for the "information". That leaves just one question "When?", but neither you nor nobody else outside of SDL knows the answer to that question.
Ben

Hi Ben

You are right and in this particular case, even the responsible people at SDL would not be able to give you a date because it is not just a small task (which again is promising for what we can expect), so they can't commit to deliver this with the next CU.
However, they did say that they work on it and that it has high priority: I hope this helps.

And, just in case: remember that you can still keep using the good old WinAlign (it is still part of the installation, even with Studio 2015, to be found in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\T2007\TT\") to handle such jobs. The only drawback you have is that you'll need to import the TMX and that you can't align PDFs.

Walter

Ana Paula Rodríguez, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, Walter! Mar 11, 2016

Dear Walter,

You have just made my day. I have my dear WinAlign back! Thanks so much! I pretty much loathe the Studio 2015 version. I still don't understand why there was such a big regression with this program.

Thank you again!

Best regards,
Ana

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:40
English to Russian
Just received a notification on SR2 yesterday Mar 11, 2016

Today I tried to find a standalone file for downloading so that I can download the installer and then install SR2 at other place.
No, I have not found it yet...
However I found even better thing — a solution against a bug in SR2.
Looks like they make anti-bug solutions before the product itself.

After installing SDL Trados Studio 2015 Service Release 2 (released 7th March 2016) you encounter that the Term Recognition, Term Verification and Termbase Search are not working for any termbase added to your project.

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:9500 (date of article reviewed: 9th March 2016)

The most impressive is

Workaround: Uninstall the Service Release 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2015

1. Close all SDL applications.
2. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
3. Click View installed updates located on the upper left side of the dialog.
4. Locate in the list of installed update the following entry: SDL Trados Studio 2015 - Service Release 2
5. Select/highlight Service Release 2
6. Uninstall Service Release 2 WHY DID YOU RELAESE IT AT ALL???????
7. Reinstall Studio 2015 CU3.

It's all from official SDL site.

[Edited at 2016-03-11 07:01 GMT]

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
And another Thank You for Walter! Mar 11, 2016

I had no idea I still had Winalign. It's been such a long time that I hope I can remember how to use it but it was certainly much faster and more accurate than any Studio alignment. Thanks very much for your post.

Katharina Tappeiner
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Walter! Jun 16, 2016

I have struggled with the new alignment tool and it's been quite frustrating, so knowing that I can still use WinAlign is a great relief! Thanks!

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:40
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Alignment tools for CAT users Jun 17, 2016

I would not touch WinAlign or the existing built-in alignment function in SDL Trados Studio 2015 with a bargepole. These are a real headache as compared to some other alignment tools available to translators.

ABBYY Aligner 2.0 Freelance which is made available free of charge to registered users of the SmartCAT translation automation platform.

LF Aligner - a freeware, open source, multiplatform (Windows, OS X, Linux) alignment tool based on Hunalign and written by Farkas András.

YouAlign - a free online document alignment solution by Terminotix Inc. Limitation: maximum file size is 1MB.

AlignFactory Light - a professional alignment software by Terminotix Inc. = $420.00 ($90.00 for students)

The tools above support many file formats and can output TMXs suitable for subsequent import into a CAT tool of your choice.

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:41 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agree Jun 17, 2016

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

I would not touch WinAlign or the existing built-in alignment function in SDL Trados Studio 2015 with a bargepole.

I agree. It is a sad state of affairs when the new aligner is so bad that people want to go back to winalign, which was always known for a) lacking an autoaligner and b) having one of the world's worst alignment editing interfaces.
I hope that SDL comes to its senses and fixes this decade-old mess. Putting together a passable editing interface is not that hard so there is no excuse for a large company failing at this. At least the Studio aligner has a real autoalignment engine (unlike winalign), so they are halfway towards making a decent aligner.

[Edited at 2016-06-17 08:12 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Have you used AlignFactory? Jun 17, 2016

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
AlignFactory Light - a professional alignment software by Terminotix Inc. = $420.00 ($90.00 for students)

Vladimir, have you used AlignFactory? If yes, what are your impressions? Is it worth the steep price?

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:40
Member (2002)
English to Russian
AlignFactory Light Jun 20, 2016

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Vladimir, have you used AlignFactory? If yes, what are your impressions? Is it worth the steep price?

It's very good and it was worth the steep price at the time. However, a new kid on the block - ABBYY Aligner 2.0 Freelancer - is actually just as good, while being available free of charge to registered users of ABBYY's SmartCAT translation platform. Mind you, you don't need to be active there to earn this user license (at least this is how things stand right now).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment of documents in Studio 2015 SR1

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search