Thread poster: mopc

mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:34
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 28, 2015

I have just received a small docx file for translation (3500 words) and at first Trados 2014 Freelance didn't even accept it as a translatable file.

Then I re-saved it as a normal .doc file and Trados accepted it as translatable and I managed to create the new project. But when the file opened in Trados, crazy tags appeared between almost every letter, rendering it virtually untranslatable.

See screenshot here = http://s1.postimg.org/oh1p8idv3/screenshot_11.png

The file appears normally and does not contain any unusual formatting structure. See screenshot of file opened on Word here = http://s1.postimg.org/50gzlzir3/screenshot_12.png

The file does appear to have been converted from a PDF in an imperfect way though.

What is going on?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Finnish to French
Try Translator Tools Oct 28, 2015

See:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2014/11/28/get-rid-of-unneeded-tags-with-translator-tools/

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:34
Danish to English
+ ...
Very helpful, thanks Oct 28, 2015

I already had TranslatorTools installed, but wasn't aware of this function. Excellent, though.

Thanks for the instructive video. icon_smile.gif

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:34
English to Russian
Change font settings Oct 28, 2015

Before using the almighty TransTools (definitely a 'must have' tool), you can try to change the font settings.
After PDF conversion, spaces between letters and their scale may result in such tags.

Press Ctrl+A (to select all)
Press Ctrl+D (to invoke the font settings dialog)
Go to the second tab
Set the first three settings to 100%, Normal, Normal

This may remove most tags. However sometimes this trick does not work.
If it won't work for you, then TransTools...

[Edited at 2015-10-28 09:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Normal doc file opens full of non existing tags

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search