Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 28, 2015

Hello everyone

I have to translate a number of DOCX files in TTX format. The files contain black text and red text. Only the red text must be translatable in the TTX files. Marking black text as hidden text before and after the translation is not an option -- the TTX files must reflect the DOCX files as they are. Is there a way to create the TTX files so that only the red text is translatable in the TTX files?

I have Trados 2007 and 2015.

Thanks
S
... See more
Hello everyone

I have to translate a number of DOCX files in TTX format. The files contain black text and red text. Only the red text must be translatable in the TTX files. Marking black text as hidden text before and after the translation is not an option -- the TTX files must reflect the DOCX files as they are. Is there a way to create the TTX files so that only the red text is translatable in the TTX files?

I have Trados 2007 and 2015.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would hide the black text before translation and then unhide it afterwards Oct 28, 2015

The result should be a document that is identical in format with the source document, so I am not sure what the problem is.

The ttx document doesn't really reflect the docx document anyway, so I am somewhat puzzled.

Or does it mean that parts of the sentences are marked in red, which should be translated, and other parts are in black, which should not be translated? Then I can see that you have a problem.

In that case I'm not sure if there is any other way
... See more
The result should be a document that is identical in format with the source document, so I am not sure what the problem is.

The ttx document doesn't really reflect the docx document anyway, so I am somewhat puzzled.

Or does it mean that parts of the sentences are marked in red, which should be translated, and other parts are in black, which should not be translated? Then I can see that you have a problem.

In that case I'm not sure if there is any other way than to import everything, and just copy the black text over into target as is, and translate the red text. The job sounds rather strange to me in that case, though.

Roy
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't want to use hidden text Oct 28, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I would hide the black text before translation and then unhide it afterwards.

I'm hoping for a solution that would allow me to specify translatable text directly, without having to hack the DOCX file itself (twice... once going in, and once going out again).

No, sorry for not making that clear, there are no black words inside red sentences. A sentence is either black or red.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 15:07 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Transtools Oct 28, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm hoping for a solution that would allow me to specify translatable text directly, without having to hack the DOCX file itself (twice... once going in, and once going out again).

I don't think this is possible. However, you could highlight the text you don't want to translate, then use Transtools in order to hide (and unhide) it.

You'd have to spend the effort of highlighting non-translatable text in any case, and hiding and unhiding is a single click in Transtools.

HTH,
Erik

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You can also use Search & Replace in Word to hide all black text Oct 28, 2015

Not really necessary to use a third party tool like Transtool.

Just choose Black text as format and indicate that it should be hidden.

When you are finished, you choose All text, and unhide it in the Format box.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007, translate only red text, no hidden text

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »