How do I create a bilingual excel file in Studio 2015?
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:49
Member (2015)
German to English
Oct 29, 2015

I have been sent a 3-column excel file (.xslx if that makes any difference), so how do I go about creating a bilingual file. Must I add the columns before I import the file into Studio 2015 or is there some kind of automatic process?

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
One way Oct 29, 2015

I am not sure if I have understood your situation - you have an excel file with three columns of source language, and you wish to create a bilingual excel file with six columns? For example, alternating columns with the target language to the right of each source language column?

If this is the case, then simply translate the source excel file (without changing it in any way) in Studio and generate an excel document with three columns of target language.

Then create a new excel document and copy and paste the source/target columns into it.

A bit boring, but it works!

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mark but... Oct 29, 2015

Yes, that is how I would usually go about it but I was hoping there was an automatic way using Studio 2015.

I know you can lock out columns when you receive a file and some may not need to be translated. I just wondered if you could sort of add them as an automatic process or something.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I create a bilingual excel file in Studio 2015?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search