Trademark Check issue in File > Options
Thread poster: Anna1988

Anna1988
United Kingdom
Oct 29, 2015

Hi,

I have an SDL Trados 2014 SP2 problem with the Trademark Check option within Verification. I’ve been trying to set up the ‘Trademark Check’ in Trados for all projects, so via File > Options etc, but it doesn’t work for any new projects I import after setting up this option. It doesn't give me any notification if one of the trademarks isn't present in the target text when I confirm a segment or run a verification check. It only works when I set it up for every individual project via Project Settings, but this is very tiresome since I need it for every project I work on.

It seems to be an issue for any option I set up within the QA Checker 3.0 within File > Options, so also multiple spaces check, etc. How can I get it to work via the general settings through File > Options?

Thanks!

NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 11:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export & Import QA settings Oct 30, 2015

Hi,

First you need to Export your QA settings. You need to do this only once. It's just a file with the sdlqasettings extension.

To do that:
File > Options > Verification > QA Checker Profiles > press "Export settings" button.

Then for each new project, you need to import these settings to the project.

You can do it this way:
Project Settings > Verification > QA Checker Profiles > press "Import settings" button and select the previously the sdlqasettings file.

or you can import the settings using the Apply Studio Project Template application from OpenExchange. As the name suggests, it copies the settings of a template based on your PC to the new project.

Whatever method will work.

Regards,

... Jesús Prieto ...

Anna1988
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Why doesn't verification work via File > Options? Oct 30, 2015

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm aware of this option, but the problem is that this importing settings every time I create a new project is so time consuming.. I work on 10+ projects a day, if I have to import the settings for every individual one, I'll lose a lot of time.

From your answer it seems that I may have misunderstood something about studio. I thought that any settings via File > Options will be set for every new project you import? Am I wrong? Settings for other tabs in File > Options are working just fine, such as settings in editor, or Autosuggest. Why does it not work with Verification?

Thanks!

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
General settings… Oct 30, 2015

File > option settings are copied to any project you create in Studio.

If you recieve a project from your client, this project already has its own settings, in general different than yours.

With the OpenExchange app it's a matter of 2 clicks per project, so it's not that much…

Anyway, this app can help you in batches, you can select a bunch of projects and apply the settings you wish for all of them.

This link can help you about the scope of the app: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/06/02/keep-calm/

Regards,

... Jesús Prieto ...

Anna1988
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Other settings within File > Options Oct 30, 2015

Hi again,

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at the app and link you sent! So what you're saying is that projects are imported with settings by the client, and therefore can only be overruled by Project Settings or by importing these in the way you described earlier? Then why do other settings within File > Options that I randomly set up work, such as ones in tabs like Autocorrect or Editor, but the ones within Verification don't? That doesn't make any sense to me...

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well, the Editor… Oct 30, 2015

… belong to your Studio, your workspace, so the behaviour you mention makes sense, and the reason why Editor settings are not included in the Project Settings. Did you notice it?

On the other hand, projects depend on TMs, terminology TBs, AutoSuggest dictionnaries, and QA settings, so it makes sense they can be included in project templates or even in the general options (File > Options) for any project you create in the future.

From another point of view: Projects can't depend on the colours you select for your Editor or the AutoCorrect entries you decide to include in the list.

I reckon this is one of the most misunderstood concepts of Studio. But as soon as you get it, it'll be really helpful.

... Jesús Prieto ...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
A project template contains two types of settings Oct 30, 2015

Anna1988 wrote:
Then why do other settings within File > Options that I randomly set up work, such as ones in tabs like Autocorrect or Editor, but the ones within Verification don't? That doesn't make any sense to me...

Anna

A project template contains two categories of settings: system-specific settings such as the Spellchecker you want to use, the AutoSuggest and Autopropagation settings, etc. and project-specific settings such as the Verification, File Types, Translation memories, etc.

The settings in the first category impact the way your Studio works, regardless of the project you work on. So the settings for AutoSuggest for example will always stay the same unless you change them.

The project-specific settings on the other hand are taken from the project template and copied to your project every time you create a project. This means that your project will use whatever settings you have defined in the template you based your project on. If you create, your own projects, you will therefore see the settings that you want (the ones you have defined in your template).

When you receive a project package however, the settings of this project are the ones that were in the project template of the person who created the project, which means that you have no influence on these settings. But you can obviously change them as Jesus explained. If you face this problem frequently, I suggest you ask your client to adapt his project template so that the packages he sends you have this setting for the copyright check set.
This is by design, because it ascertains that a person who receives a package automatically works with the options that have been set by the originator of the package.

Your own settings apply to the projects you create, but not to the ones you receive.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trademark Check issue in File > Options

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search