In Studio 2014, no file after downloading an sdlxliff file sent as an email attachment
Thread poster: eVeritas

eVeritas  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:23
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2015

I have Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus. Therefore, I have the program installed on two computers (a laptop and a desktop).

When a client sends me an .sdlxliff file as an email attachment I click on it and, if I am working on my laptop, Trados Studio opens and opens the file on the editor, ready for me to work on it. Same works for other programs such as MS Word, Adobe, etc.

However, if I am working on my desktop and I click on an .sdlxliff file sent as an email attachment, Studio opens but the file is nowhere to be found. This has happened repeatedly. There has not been a single file that has opened as it should.

Today, I had to click on "Translate a Single Document" and look for the file on the computer's "Downloads" folder under "This PC" on the hard drive.

Any suggestions as to how this can be solved?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:23
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Excuse me... Oct 29, 2015

...but do you really work directly from your email program, without previous saving files onto your disk? I have never encountered such a way of doing work... How do you know where your files, TMs etc are at all? How do you set up projects?

Re "Any suggestions as to how this can be solved?": you should learn creating folders on your disk, saving files there, creating projects, adding TMs and glossaries to projects...

Puerto Rico
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course I save my files, that's not the point nor the problem I encounter Oct 29, 2015

Once the file opens I used the "save as" feature and save it onto my computer or flash drive together with any TMs applicable, etc. Such as I would do with an MS Word file.

The point and the problem is that when I download the file from the email, Trados Studio opens but the file is not there when it should be. I should be able to see it open on the editor in order for me to save it and work on it.

Basically the file gets lost somewhere, because Studio opens as if I hadn't downloaded anything.

If you still think I am doing something wrong, then please provide specific ideas as to what I should do instead of posting a sarcastic comment. The point of these forums is to help each other.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Help, I need somebody, Help, not just anybody, Natalie Oct 30, 2015

eVeritas wrote:
The point of these forums is to help each other.

That's exactly what Natalie did, help you: Save first, open later.

Hans

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I still think Oct 30, 2015

eVeritas wrote:

Of course I save my files, that's not the point nor the problem I encounter...

that this IS the problem. Namely, the problem (if I understand correctly what you are doing) is WHEN and HOW you are saving your files. You should not open sdlxliffs by clicking them in email attachments. You should save them first somewhere on your hard disk and start working only afterwards. At present, as it follows from your description, your files may be saved anywhere: in some temporary folders, in email client etc.

I did not mean to be sarcastic at all, I just tried to say that your workflow seems to be atypical. Opening a file with Studio directly from email means that Studio creates a project, but if you don;t specify where it should be created, then Studio creates it without asking you. Most probably in some TMP folder.

Puerto Rico
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip but how can I save it directly from the email? Oct 30, 2015

Thank you for clarifying Natalie. I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding.

However, when I get an email with an attachment I have to download it first since there is no way of saving without downloading. In the case of Studio files, once I download the file, I see the icon on the bottom of the screen and it has an arrow on the right-hand side. When I click on the arrow I get a menu that gives me three options: "Open", "Always open files of this type" or "Show in folder." There is no "Save" option.

If I click on "Show in folder", then the file shows up on the "downloads" folder and it does not give me the option to save it either. In order to save it I have to "copy" and "paste" the file on the location where I want to save it (hard drive, flash drive, DVD, etc.).

To my understanding this is a rather unusual and roundabout way to do this but I have no choice.

If on the other hand, instead of "Show in folder" I choose "Open", then Studio opens and I can't find the file like I said earlier.

This does not happen on my laptop. It opens Studio, the file is open on the editor and I can save it wherever I want.

Any clues?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
A couple of suggestions Oct 30, 2015

1. I don't know which e-mail program or browser you use, but if you use Gmail, you can set the options to "Ask where to save file each time" rather than using the default "Save to download folder" (loosely translated from Norwegian). That way you would have full control of where the attachment is downloaded, so you don't have to copy/move the file from the Download folder each time. Saves time that way.

I would also think that your e-mail program will let you use "Save attachment as" rather than "Save" or something similar so that you can tell it where the attachment should be saved.

2. I find I have much better control if I create a project in Studio, and then import the file(s) I want, rather than just double click the file to have it open in Studio. Then I know exactly where both the file is and also the project. That way I can place the project in a subfolder of a folder dedicated to that client, rather than having the projects spread all around the harddisk without me having full control of it.

3. One thing I see, is that if the file is in a subfolder of the main folder, the file only appears if I open the subfolder in the File tab. I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem, though.

Hope the above can be to some help at least.

[Edited at 2015-10-30 06:38 GMT]

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Which email program do you use? Oct 30, 2015

subj.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Also, ask your client to zip the file ... Oct 30, 2015

... before sending it by email.

It happens quite often (depending on the email software used) that text-based file such as XML, XLIFF, etc. become corrupted during the transport.

It should therefore be best practice to always zip such files before sending them.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In Studio 2014, no file after downloading an sdlxliff file sent as an email attachment

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search