Thread poster: Francesco Pircio

Francesco Pircio  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2015

Hello!

Every time I download a xliff file from a client's platform to be imported in Studio, I get this message:

XLIFF validation error on line 1offset 49: The value 'YML' is not valid according to any of the memberTypes of union.

What does it mean?

The platform where I export the file is called Transifex.

I also know that when I translate the file with Studio and try to re import, it does not work well.

Any idea?

Francesco

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:27
French to German
+ ...
It means that your XLIFF file is not well-formed Oct 30, 2015

Francesco

This XLIFF file is either corrupt or does not adhere to the specifications.
In which program has this XLIFF file been created? Which XLIFF version is it?

Did you check with your client whether it is meant to be compatible with Studio?

Another source of error might be the download, which might corrupt the file. I have quite often experienced that XML files are corrupted when being sent as mail attachment and I suggest that they always be zipped before they are transferred. Download should work better though, but maybe the download process did not terminate correctly.

I suggest you ask your client to send you the XLF file zipped, any you then try to open the unzipped file in Studio. If it works, you know that the problem is related to the transport. If it does not, then it is a problem of compatibility.

Walter

Francesco Pircio  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: It means that your XLIFF file is not well-formed Oct 30, 2015

Thank you, Water.

The client does not send me the file, I extract it from Transifex. In theory I should be able to extract the file from Transifex, translated it and import it back.

It never works well, I suspect because of the warning.

I wonder if there is something in my Studio settings that should be changed.

Is there a way to FIX the xliff file and eliminate the warning?

Thanks for your input, very appreciated.

Regards,

Francesco

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:27
French to German
+ ...
Test the compatibility without downloading Oct 31, 2015

Francesco

I know that you are downloading the file and because we don't know whether the error is introduced by the download or due to an incompatibility, I suggested that you ask for the file to be sent to you in zipped format so that you can find out whether it works then with Studio.

If it works, you will know that the error is introduced by the download, if not it is incompatible with Studio. There is not much you can change in the XLF settings in Studio.

It would also be important to know which version of XLIFF these files are. Is it XLIFF version 1.2 or 2.0? Studio does not yet support XLIFF 2.0.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning message - what is the meaning?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search