Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Automatic translation in SDL Trados Studio 2015. Is that possible for free?
Thread poster: javierxp

javierxp
Spain
Oct 31, 2015

Hello,
I'm starting for first time with SDL Trados, so I decided to try the 2015 version and I'm finding a lot of problems to translate AUTOMATICALLY a simple document from English to Spanish.
Seems to be completely impossible, unless you go by cash and pay.
There are no available TM for the user who start with TRADOS, also what I am looking for is a kind of system that allow me an automatic translation by pressing one single button, as you have in Google Translate.
Of course automatic translations are defective, but I know very well what I must correct, so I save time typing words or phrases that are properly translated.
Is it possible to achieve an automatic translation in SDL Trados 2015 without paying any cent?
If so, please, let me know how?
I've seen a video in which they are using BeGlobal Community... as a translation server, but... that option is not available in SDL Trados 2015...
What I see is SDL GlobalEnterprise or SDL Language Cloud and in both options, you have to pay...
For what I've seen so far, for those who want to use Trados for free, it is only a single word processor software, that is able to learn terminology and to build its own dictionaries based in your experience as translator... but it won't allow automatic translation, UNLESS YOU PAY IT MONTHLY.
So, I emphasize my question.
Is it possible to achieve an automatic translation in SDL Trados 2015 without paying any cent?
If so, please, let me know how?
Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:48
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What about Trados Cloud? Oct 31, 2015

You mean being able to have a full use Studio without paying for a lisence? I doubt if you can find any good CAT tool which doesn't presuppose a lisence. Do you for instance use Microsoft Office without having to pay anything for it?

As soon as you have developed a working translation memory in Studio (or any other CAT tool), you can use the option Pretranslate, which means that Studio checks what has already been translated, and enter it into the project in the proper places. This will be some sort of an automatic translation process.

But if you expect Studio (or any other CAT tool) to be an automatic translation tool, you have misunderstood. Studio is a help for the translator to find terms and sentences that have been translated in the past, but it is NOT an automatic translation tool the way Google Translate works. then you would have to continue using Google Translate or look some other way.

By the way, it is possible to connect Google Translate, SDL Cloud and other automatic translation services to Studio, but I believe it means you have to pay a subscription for it.

But in the end: Studio, Dejavu, MemoQ and other CAT tools are not automatic translation tools, the way you want it to be. They are developed for the translator to do his work faster, but not to do all the work for him.

[Edited at 2015-10-31 13:08 GMT]

javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
I had a doubt about SDL BeGlobal Enterprise and SDL BeGlobal Community Oct 31, 2015

Thanks Roy, and crystal clear.

Yes, I've misunderstood what SDL Trados is, as you said:

But if you expect Studio (or any other CAT tool) to be an automatic translation tool, you have misunderstood. Studio is a help for the translator to find terms and sentences that have been translated in the past, but it is NOT an automatic translation tool the way Google Translate works.

Yes, I thought it was. It is true what you said you can connect Google Translate with SDL Trados, then you get automatic translation, but you have to pay. Basically is having the translation engine from Google translate inside Trados, but for that, Google send you a bill according the number of characters you translate.

In Google translate website, that is for free.

HOWEVER... this video, explain that is possible to translate for free with SDL Trados... please, take a look to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YnI8tZEdA

It says verbatim:
Min. 0:25

And now I'm going to add... a connection to machine translation

(in the screen you see two options: SDL BeGlobal Enterprise ... SDL BeGlobal Community)
(she select SDL BeGlobal Community)

which I'm going to use alongside my TM
I'm going to chose SDL Global community account... and select ok...
The community account is the free edition of the SDL machine translation engine...

And in the video you see how the automatic translation is achieved

So that was my confussion, because I don't have that option in my SDL Trados 2015
I only have SDL BeGlobal Enterprise... but I don't have any option such as SDL BeGlobal Community ?

Cheers

Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
French to English
Why don't you want to pay? Oct 31, 2015

If you have studio, you've just made a sizable investment. I'm wondering why you are so opposed to paying for machine translation if it is so important to you? Google is the front runner of machine translation and their API is incredibly inexpensive at $20 per 1 million characters. Given English averages 5 characters per word, this is $1 per 10,000 words.

If your reason is productivity, which I suspect it is, you may want to consider dictation software over MT if they offer it for your language.

[Edited at 2015-10-31 14:54 GMT]

javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
my doubt is about SDL BeGlobal Community accounts Oct 31, 2015

hello, that is out of my question... the resons why I select a free system or not...

My question is about automatic translation for free, not about the reasons that lead me to chose a free automatic translation system. That is politics or a personal decission.

Going back to the subject, seems to be SDL Trados 2014 allow a free automatic translation engine, it is called... SDL BeGlobal Community

So that was my confussion, because I don't have that option in my SDL Trados 2015

I only have SDL BeGlobal Enterprise... but I don't have any option such as SDL BeGlobal Community ?

I would like to know what happened to the SDL BeGlobal Community accounts, because I don't see any hint of where may I get one of those free accounts and why SDL Trados Studio 2015 is not attaching this option anymore...

Cheers

javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Differences between SDL BeGlobal Community and SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation Nov 1, 2015

Searching on the website from SDL I finally found what is the difference between SDL BeGlobal Community and SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation.

Seems to be in SDL Trados 2015 we won't have SDL BeGlobal Community , now we have a new offer: SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation

http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/machine-translation/faqs.html

I copy and paste what is said in the SDL website:

What is the difference between SDL BeGlobal Community and SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation?

SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation is the new offering from SDL that replaces SDL BeGlobal Community. SDL Language Cloud is a great way to access free machine translation and other valuable subscription-based services that now include:

Access to a generic (baseline) machine translation.
Access to SDL trained industry specific machine translation for improved quality when translating for a particular industry.
Management and usage of dictionaries to enhance the quality and generate a more personalized machine translation output.

Knowing this... then the only question is...

Could someone here using SDL Trados 2015 tell me if using a SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation account, would it be possible to get an automatic translation for free?

I've seen there is a kind of free account... in fact the SDL website says this...
I paste the information here:

How can I use SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation in Studio?

SDL Language Cloud machine translation can be accessed directly within the SDL Trados Studio user interface. Connect in 3 simple steps.

You will be prompted to create an account for SDL Language Cloud. Please use your SDL My Account credentials to create an account (also known as oos.sdl.com account).
If haven't used SDL Language Cloud before a free 30-day trial will automatically start. This is a great opportunity for you to test the value of SDL's industry specific engines.
Once your trial is active, you can add the new Language Cloud machine translation provider in Studio to your Studio projects via the Project Settings (Project Settings -> Language Pairs -> Translation Memory and Automated Translation)
After the 30-day trial is over, you will be able to choose from a selection of packages available on the SDL Language Cloud website, including a free package for free machine translation usage.

So seems to be after the trial period I have the option to go by cash or just simply use the free package...

My question is if someone here tried this before and could help me a bit in the process...
Seems to be a bit complex...

Cheers

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
After the trial period you don't have to do anything Nov 1, 2015

javierxp wrote: So seems to be after the trial period I have the option to go by cash or just simply use the free package... My question is if someone here tried this before and could help me a bit in the process... Seems to be a bit complex...
Cheers

Creating the account is like any other account you create other places, so I am not sure what you need help for there.

And when the trial period is over, your account will revert to the free account if you don't do anything special. That's what I did. Should be simple enough. I think you will find it easier to actually try rather than have it explained step by step, which may, as you say, seem rather involved.

Roy

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Please confirm Nov 1, 2015

that this topic is a joke...

javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
My doubt is what happen to the SDL Language Clouds accounts when they expire Nov 2, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

javierxp wrote: So seems to be after the trial period I have the option to go by cash or just simply use the free package... My question is if someone here tried this before and could help me a bit in the process... Seems to be a bit complex...
Cheers

Creating the account is like any other account you create other places, so I am not sure what you need help for there.

And when the trial period is over, your account will revert to the free account if you don't do anything special. That's what I did. Should be simple enough. I think you will find it easier to actually try rather than have it explained step by step, which may, as you say, seem rather involved.

Roy

Hi Roy, seems to be in SDL Trados 2015 is not exactly as you describe it.

First of all, we don't have anymore SDL BeGlobal Community accounts, in Trados 2015 we have a different type of accounts for machine translation (that is, automated translation).

Those accounts are SDL Language Cloud accounts.

In fact, yes, Trados 2015 can translate automatically a document, after selecting the language pairs. To do that, you must select the server you want to connect for machine translation, in my case is SDL Language Cloud (thing I did not before).

What I did (now) is opening a SDL Language Cloud account, necessary in Trados 2015 (if you want automatic machine translation).

I did it, and then, I suscribed to a FREE PACKAGE, and here is where my confussion start... because the free package gives you a subscrition of only 30 days.

So, if I am suscribing to the free package, and free is free, so accesible for everyone, for what reason I only have a 30 days time trial period?

Trial period to test a free package? The free package as far as I know it's always free...

Then you have other packages you can purchase, for different prices... but the free package it's free, so why a limited trial period for a free package?

And what happend when that trial period expire for the free package? Then I wouldn't be able to subscribe again to it, and I'll be forced to purchase some package?

In that case I suspect I would I have to go to gmail, opening a new gmail account and configure, again, a brand new SDL Language Cloud account, to, again, have a 30 days trial period for the free package, and subscribe to it.

So my doubt is that, what happened to SDL Language Clouds account, that are subscribed to the free package, when the trial period expire. If these account can again re-suscribe to the free package, or they cannot.

Let's hope people here understand what I am talking about, because seems to be in Trados 2015 the things are different than in older versions.

Hopefully someone from SDL could read this and gives us a hint.

Cheers

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
BeGlobal? Nov 2, 2015

Didn't they stop that service? At least I thought I read it somewhere.

javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
My doubt is what happen to the SDL Language Clouds accounts when they expire Nov 3, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Didn't they stop that service? At least I thought I read it somewhere.

With a Language cloud account you can subscribe to a free package for 30 days.
And yes, you have automated translation.
Today I finished a project and did the automatic translation, it works fine.
But this is for Trados 2015, the latest version.

I suspect people here is not using the latest version, because the policy has changed.

I still having the doubt about what would happen after the 30 days, so I picture myself opening a brand new gmail account to have, again, 30 days of automatic translations.

You need an email from Gmail, then create a SDL Language Cloud account, registering your email there, and then connect Trados 2015 with your Language Cloud account, and then, you have automatic translation. Remember you need to specify in the language pairs and in that moment, you have to specify the translation server you want to connect to. In this case, SDL Language Cloud. Then, when you start your project and you enter your documents, you would have the AT for automatic translation in every single paragraph.

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
You seem to confuse the free and the trial subscription Nov 3, 2015

Trial subscriptio (30 days):

Trial: $0 per month:
PACKAGE BENEFITS
1 million characters included
- you are not allowed to use extra characters
3 engines included (SDL-trained industry-specific machine translation engines)
3 dictionaries included (to improve machine translation results)
Integration with SDL Trados Studio (Integrations with other products require a valid license for those products which are not included in these packages unless specifically stated.)
Microsoft Office Add-ins included (Allows you to access machine translation from Microsoft Office applications)
Translator

Free subscription: $0 per month:

PACKAGE BENEFITS
600,000 characters included
- you are not allowed to use extra characters
No engines included (SDL-trained industry-specific machine translation engines)
No dictionaries included (to improve machine translation results)
Integration with SDL Trados Studio (Integrations with other products require a valid license for those products which are not included in these packages unless specifically stated.)
Translator

And by the way, I don't know anything about SDL BeGlobal Community, as I have never tried to use it.

So the free account is limited compared to the trial subscription, and they in no way are equal.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding regarding trial and free.

In actual fact, the trial account is more similar to the advanced subscription than the free one.

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
Member (2014)
English to German
Continues to be free Nov 3, 2015

After the trail version you can subscribe to any package, including the free one, set it to automatic renewal and it will just continue, you get an e-mail each month letting you know that SDL Language Cloud will be renewed (maybe to remind you that you might want to choose another package?).

David Pooley
United Kingdom
English
Confirmed :) Nov 3, 2015

The Trial package is available to anyone for 30 days to access SDL Language Cloud machine translation and get a flavour of what you could get from using industry-specific engines and/or terminology to get higher quality machine translations.

The Free package renews every month at which time you get another 600,000 characters of machine translation to use. If you use all your characters before the month is out, you have to wait until the renewal date to get another 600,000 characters. This package is only available to users who have an SDL Trados Studio license on their SDL account.

Regards,

David

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
SDL_suffix please Nov 3, 2015

drpooley wrote:

Confirmed

David, could you update your ProZ profile so that forum users can see you're from SDL?

Otherwise we don't necessarily know who you are or how valuable your answers are!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic translation in SDL Trados Studio 2015. Is that possible for free?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search