How to change segment status from ''confirmed'' into ''not translated''?
Thread poster: Simonyte

Simonyte
Lithuania
Local time: 00:04
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Nov 3, 2015

Dears,

While translating my Trados has suddenly froze. After recovery I've noticed that all the segments has been marked to ''confirmed'' even though I haven't translated them yet.

Could anyone please help me to change segment status from ''confirmed'' into ''not translated'' IN ALL THE BLANK SEGMENTS?

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 17:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
to select all segments... Nov 3, 2015

...it's a bit tricky, but you can place the cursor on the number to the left of the first segment you want to change.

Then press and hold shift and hold down the left mouse button...while holding down the button move the mouse downward (if the segments you want flow off the screen use the mouse wheel while holding down the button).
[if you are using a laptop, hold down shift+trackpad button and scroll down using the 'page down' button]

While scrolling down keep the cursor in the column of the numbers. When you get to the last segment you want to change , let go of the mouse button. Then all of the segments will be highlighted in yellow.

At this point, right-click the mouse cursor in the numbers column of the segments. Then the context menu should appear allowing you to change the segment status to whatever you want....the change will apply to all selected segments highlighted in yellow

Or...possibly have a look at this plugin: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxlifftoolkit-802.html
and a corresponding explanation: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/09/25/the-sdlxliff-toolkit/

[Edited at 2015-11-03 16:33 GMT]

Simonyte
Lithuania
Local time: 00:04
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you :) Nov 3, 2015

Patrick,

Thank you so much for your detailed and prompt reply.
It worked! I'm so happy againicon_smile.gif))

Simona

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:04
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Mainly practical if most empty segments come close together Nov 3, 2015

Patrick Porter wrote:

...it's a bit tricky, but you can place the cursor on the number to the left of the first segment you want to change.

Then press and hold shift and hold down the left mouse button...while holding down the button move the mouse downward (if the segments you want flow off the screen use the mouse wheel while holding down the button). [if you are using a laptop, hold down shift+trackpad button and scroll down using the 'page down' button]

While scrolling down keep the cursor in the column of the numbers. When you get to the last segment you want to change , let go of the mouse button. Then all of the segments will be highlighted in yellow.

At this point, right-click the mouse cursor in the numbers column of the segments. Then the context menu should appear allowing you to change the segment status to whatever you want....the change will apply to all selected segments highlighted in yellow

I was also thinking of the same way of doing it, i.e. mark each empty segment manually and then right click in the leftmost column. But if they are not adjacent, then if the project is large, this is probably not practical. It is a drawback that Studio does not have the option of selecting all empty segments, and I wonder why SDL hasn't added that option when you can choose all locked segments, all unconfirmed etc.

Personally I have another CAT tool which can open SDLXLIFF files, and there I can filter on all empty segments and reset the translation status. So I would do it this way personally. But if you have only Studio, that doesn't work very well, probably. (It may be it is possible to use a demo version of for instance MemoQ or Dejavu and do it that way, though. But I cannot guarantee that since I have a paid version.)

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 17:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
oh right, there's that... Nov 5, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I was also thinking of the same way of doing it, i.e. mark each empty segment manually and then right click in the leftmost column. But if they are not adjacent, then if the project is large, this is probably not practical. It is a drawback that Studio does not have the option of selecting all empty segments, and I wonder why SDL hasn't added that option when you can choose all locked segments, all unconfirmed etc.

Personally I have another CAT tool which can open SDLXLIFF files, and there I can filter on all empty segments and reset the translation status. So I would do it this way personally. But if you have only Studio, that doesn't work very well, probably. (It may be it is possible to use a demo version of for instance MemoQ or Dejavu and do it that way, though. But I cannot guarantee that since I have a paid version.)

Good point Roy. You can filter in Trados but not on empty segments (as far as I'm aware). Sometimes you can do workarounds, e.g. if all the segments you want are already a certain status and the others aren't, or use locking/unlocking, etc. Once in a while a situation like this will arise for me where I wish it were possible to customize the display filter. As for the multi-select, it isn't very intuitive and in fact it was a client who told me about it only a couple of years ago.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change segment status from ''confirmed'' into ''not translated''?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search