Thread poster: Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:42
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 4, 2015

So I just upgraded to the new Studio 2015, thrilled about the new feature to translate bilingual Excel files (that my translation is inserted in the corresponding column, so no copy and paste anymore).

Even happier when I saw I could indicate which column showed a character limitation, so Trados itself would warn me if I surpassed it, instead of having to go back and forth the Excel file to reduce each segment (since I translate into Spanish, a language that "grows" in translation f
... See more
So I just upgraded to the new Studio 2015, thrilled about the new feature to translate bilingual Excel files (that my translation is inserted in the corresponding column, so no copy and paste anymore).

Even happier when I saw I could indicate which column showed a character limitation, so Trados itself would warn me if I surpassed it, instead of having to go back and forth the Excel file to reduce each segment (since I translate into Spanish, a language that "grows" in translation from Swedish or English, this is a very frequent issue).

The problem is I have a regular client that sends 1-2 files per week, that are .xlsm files, multilingual, and the character limit is shown is column D with text ("max 77 characters") and in column N with a compled formula that will indicate if the amount is surpassed. So I have no idea which column would have to be the one indicated in Trados then,when it comes to indicating character limitation.

But the worst is that in any case, Trados won't apply the feature of multilingual Excel since this is a file with Macros. The "bilingual Excel" feature applies only to .xlsx files.

So... I wonder what happens to the Macros if I save the file as .xlsx so I can use the multilingual feature? Would they get deleted or only inactivated? I need to send back a final file as .xlsm.
Or otherwise, what is the most reasonable and time-efficient way to deal with this kind of files?

Thanks for your input and technical expertise!!
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 12:42
English to Russian
Handling of XLSM files Nov 4, 2015

Hello, Leticia,

If you save XLSM as XLSX, all macros will be lost.

What I would suggest is the following:
- Save a copy of XLSM as XLSX
- Translate XLSX in Studio
- Open the translated XLSX and the original XLSM and copy the translated sheet from XLSX to the XLSM by right-clicking the sheet tab and choosing Move/Copy, then selecting the XLSM from the dropdown list and pressing OK. When it gets copied to XLSM, note the name of the original sheet, delete
... See more
Hello, Leticia,

If you save XLSM as XLSX, all macros will be lost.

What I would suggest is the following:
- Save a copy of XLSM as XLSX
- Translate XLSX in Studio
- Open the translated XLSX and the original XLSM and copy the translated sheet from XLSX to the XLSM by right-clicking the sheet tab and choosing Move/Copy, then selecting the XLSM from the dropdown list and pressing OK. When it gets copied to XLSM, note the name of the original sheet, delete it, then rename the copied sheet. You may need to reorder the sheets in the XLSM to make sure that the order of sheets is the same.
You may need to save backup copies just in case something goes wrong.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How interesting! Nov 5, 2015

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for that idea! I didn't know that if you copied whole sheets, the imported sheets would "inherit" the macro of the document. Then the final document will have macros just as the original one?

The issue I've had with these macro-excels is that you cannot copy a whole column (say the column with my translation) since it is broken into sections by rows that cross over all languages, hence I've been copying section by section which is a pain in the neck
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for that idea! I didn't know that if you copied whole sheets, the imported sheets would "inherit" the macro of the document. Then the final document will have macros just as the original one?

The issue I've had with these macro-excels is that you cannot copy a whole column (say the column with my translation) since it is broken into sections by rows that cross over all languages, hence I've been copying section by section which is a pain in the neck.

Is there any place where I can read more about how macros work, in the first place? I'm afraid I'm not quite so well versed on the subject.

I will give it a try! The only problem is that I don't know how to see if the macro is in place or working properly, so I cannot verify it in the final .xlsm file that I would be producing.

Thanks!
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
English to Russian
Re: How interesting Nov 5, 2015

Hello again, Leticia,

No, macros are not inherited when you copy a whole sheet from one workbook to another. The idea is to copy the translated sheet from XLSX (where there are no macros) to XLSM (where there are macros), then delete the original sheets in XLSM and rename the sheet copied from XLSX so that it has the same name (so that any existing formulas referring to this sheet are not broken). This way you will give the client the original XLSM which will contain the translated
... See more
Hello again, Leticia,

No, macros are not inherited when you copy a whole sheet from one workbook to another. The idea is to copy the translated sheet from XLSX (where there are no macros) to XLSM (where there are macros), then delete the original sheets in XLSM and rename the sheet copied from XLSX so that it has the same name (so that any existing formulas referring to this sheet are not broken). This way you will give the client the original XLSM which will contain the translated sheet instead of the non-translated one.

Best regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: How interesting Nov 5, 2015

Thanks for that clarification, Stanislav.

But will the client be able to use my translated file just as fine, with this procedure? Where are the macros stored, globally for the whole document and pointing to the sheets, or in the particular sheet itself? I'm afraid if the macros in my translated sheets are gone, they client will have issues implementing them afterwards in their systems.
Or am I totally mistaken here?

Thanks for shedding some light upon my confus
... See more
Thanks for that clarification, Stanislav.

But will the client be able to use my translated file just as fine, with this procedure? Where are the macros stored, globally for the whole document and pointing to the sheets, or in the particular sheet itself? I'm afraid if the macros in my translated sheets are gone, they client will have issues implementing them afterwards in their systems.
Or am I totally mistaken here?

Thanks for shedding some light upon my confusion!
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
English to Russian
Macros Nov 5, 2015

Leticia,

Macros are stored within a document. In some rare cases, some code may be stored inside a separate sheet within a document, but this is extremely rare. If you want, you can send the XLSM file by email to stasokhvat AT gmail DOT com (telling me which sheets need translating) and I will let you know what your case is.

It should be safe. You can send me the original file and the fully translated XLSM file (prepared according to the procedure I explained to you) an
... See more
Leticia,

Macros are stored within a document. In some rare cases, some code may be stored inside a separate sheet within a document, but this is extremely rare. If you want, you can send the XLSM file by email to stasokhvat AT gmail DOT com (telling me which sheets need translating) and I will let you know what your case is.

It should be safe. You can send me the original file and the fully translated XLSM file (prepared according to the procedure I explained to you) and I will check whether all macros are intact.

Stanislav
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
File Types Nov 5, 2015

Hi Leticia,

If the Excel is in 2007 format or later there is a file type in Studio 2015 that can handle that format. Try using that and see if it works for the files that you receive.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual Excel with Macros in Studio 2015

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »