Generate word document with comments from translators
Thread poster: infactglobal

infactglobal
Local time: 01:01
Nov 5, 2015

Hi,
I've been stumped on this for a while now and I need some help...

I have a word document in French. I translated the document but I want to leave comments for my client in the English document I send to him.

I put comments in the editor, in the target segment. I put all three types of comments (for info, warning and error) but none are generated in the translated file.

Help!!

PS The source file does not have comments in it, so I don't need to know how to treat comments in the source text, I need info on how to generate the comments I put in the target segments into the final general file...

Thanks so much!!!

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Comments only for the xliff file? Nov 5, 2015

I am usually leaving notes in the sdlxliff files, but I always thought it was not exported to the target file. At least I haven't even considered the possibility.

If you want to leave comments that you add in the sdlxliff file for your customer, I think the best would be to export an External View file with the comments, and send the comments in this file to the customer.

Roy

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A setting in the Word File Type, but only for DOCX Nov 6, 2015

If your file is a DOC (Word 2000-2003 file), this is not possible. But if your document is a DOCX (Word 2007-2016 file), you can tell Studio that you want to retain comments in the target file.

To make sure you have this enabled:

If your file is part of a project, go to Project Settings, then File Types and go down the list to the appropriate file type (Word 2007-2013 or Word 2007-2016), then go to Common and look for a checkmark in the option on the right-hand pane that says "Retain Studio target comments in target file".

If you want to make sure this is enabled for all future projects and single files, go to Options - File Types.

infactglobal
TOPIC STARTER
setting in the .docx Word File Type Nov 9, 2015

Hi Nora,
I have that option clicked and it still doesn't work... and I've checked, they are .docx files...
Any help?

BTW, I'm not supplying the sdlxliff to the client, so Roy's solution isn't possible for me.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Cynthia

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little clarification Nov 9, 2015

Hi Cynthia,

Re-reading your post, I think a little clarification would help. When you say you add three types of comments, what do you mean? Are you referring to the comments that show in the Comments pane? Or to comments added when you right-click a target segment and select Add Comment from the right-click menu? Just in case this is the source of the confusion, the comment retention feature in Studio is for comments added manually by the translator via Add Comment, but the comments produced automatically by Studio, such as warnings and errors, do not appear in the target file.

Albert G
Local time: 02:01
German to Russian
doesn't work for text in "Frames" or in "Textboxes", headers and footers Nov 10, 2015

infactglobal wrote:

Hi Nora,
I have that option clicked and it still doesn't work... and I've checked, they are .docx files...
Any help?

BTW, I'm not supplying the sdlxliff to the client, so Roy's solution isn't possible for me.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Cynthia

Hi, Cynthia

This function is good, but you should note - it doesn't export comments for text in "Frames", "Textboxes", page headers/footers.

Albert

[Редактировалось 2015-11-10 11:59 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2015-11-10 12:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Generate word document with comments from translators

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search