Importing one TM in the .sdltm format into another TM with th same format possible with Trados 2015?
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka

Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2015

Good evening,

I have a question about importing one translation memory into another in Trados 2015 Freelance, when both translation memories are in the .sdltm format.
Is it possible at all?

Or has to be the first transation memory, which I want to import into the second, converted into the .tmx format?

As far as I have read, the most convenient way of importing one TM into another is:

1) Use a TMX converter, like e.g. the WfConverter, to obtain a .tmx file
2) Import the obtained .tmx file directly into the translation memory one wants to enlarge and that's the final step.

Is that all, or have I overlooked something?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export and then import, but all within Studio, or use Upgrade Translation Memories Nov 6, 2015

That's fast and easy, and you can do it either via Project Settings from within a project where the TMs are enabled or via the Translation Memories view.

So, it's a simple two-step process:

1. Select the TM you want to export and click Export, this produces a TMX file
2. Select the TM you want to import the TUs into, click Import, click Add Files and select the TMX file produced during step 1

Alternatively, in the Translation Memories view you can choose Upgrade Translation Memories, where you can merge both TMs into one, instead of importing one into the other one.

Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help, but I have another question Nov 6, 2015

Hello Nora,

thank you so much for your help!

But now I have second question: Will the results of the operation "Upgrade Translation Memories" be the same as when importing one TM into another?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One key difference Nov 6, 2015

In terms of TM contents the results will be the same, but the difference is that with the Import operation you modify an existing TM, and with the Upgrade operation you create a new TM.

Here's a more detailed explanation with an example:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2015/11/combining-tms-in-studio-tm-import-and_6.html

Poland
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 6, 2015

Hi Nora,

Thank you very much for your explanation, now everything is clear!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing one TM in the .sdltm format into another TM with th same format possible with Trados 2015?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search