Copy source to target with auto-conversion of numeric format ?
Thread poster: Daniel Arnold

Daniel Arnold
Germany
Local time: 08:16
Member (2013)
German to English
Nov 9, 2015

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a function, shortcut or macro that I can use in SDL Trados Studio 2015 where lines that contain only a number are copied to the destination (automatically) AND at the same time the number format is adjusted to the rules for the target language ?

Example:

Source (German) Target (EN-US)
€302.276,09 €302,276.09

Note how the "," and "." have changed position.

So far when I copy from source to target, the formatting does not adjust automatically. This is a huge disadvantage when translating a large volume of financial documents. Is there a function I have overseen, or is a plug-in or alike available ?

I look forward to your response.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about using regex? Nov 10, 2015

What I would do is:

1. Filter to show only the desired segments , which can be done with a regex like ^€\d+\.\d+,\d+$
2. Select all the displayed segments, copy source to target
3. Do a Find and Replace using the following regex:

Find: (\d+)\.(\d+),(\d+)
Replace with: $1,$2.$3

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy source to target with auto-conversion of numeric format ?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search