Thread poster: Dominik Langer

Dominik Langer
Germany
Local time: 06:57
English to German
+ ...
Nov 11, 2015

Hello to all,

So I have a file with 2 columns in Excel. Column 1 holds the source text, column 2 length restrictions in simple numbers (i.e. 80, 100, etc.). When I try to import this file in Studio it imports everything as normal, EXCEPT the numbers only segments. It does not matter whether the column in Excel is desiganted as text, number, standard or whatever (probably currency or percentage would work). I find this extremely upsetting and irritating. I guess that Studio will be looking at those segments and simply "process" them in the background, since they are back in the file when I export it again, BUT I would like to a) always see numbers in the Editor anyways, for context and whatever, and b) in this case I actually want to have the numbers below the source segment, so that I don't have to switch between Excel and Studio all the time to check for the length restrictions. I hope I got across why I'm upseticon_smile.gif

Now, when I create a new Excel file and simply enter a number it won't be imported as well, so it's not the file. It's apparently also not something I messed up, because my friends and colleagues have the same "issue", but no one ever noticed, because things like that don't happen on a regularly basis.

However, when I just copy the two columns into Word and create a translation file they ARE imported, just the way I want it to (i.e.
text
number
text
number) in the source column.

Why is that and what can I do to remedy this if it is even possible? I was sure this wasn't always the case. Is there some hidden option with which to disable this "feature" in Studio? I've checked in the file format options, found nothing...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Best regards,
Dominik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2014 cannot import numbers in Excel

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search