Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Nov 11, 2015

Hi all,

I'm thinking of investing in one of these https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/magicstick-most-powerful-pc-stick-8gb-ram/x/12247371#/story and wonder if I'd need a new Studio license to install it on the stick? I now have Studio 2015 Plus, with Studio installed on my PC and Laptop.

All the best,

Richard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:58
Finnish to French
Just another PC Nov 11, 2015

This looks like just another PC, so why would it be different from the licensing point of view? Since you already have installed your copy of Studio Freelance Plus on to two computers, you would either need to free one installation by deactivating it, or purchase a second license. But why would you need to have the same software installed on three different devices anyway?

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Installing Studio 2015 on a PC-on-a-stick Nov 11, 2015

Hi Richard,

I am also wondering why you would need it on a third PC- PLUS allows installation on TWO machines- a third machine would indeed require a new extra license.
And anyhow if you were to install it on a new machine- you would do this directly

Returning back to your other point-this is a question that has popped up before- the default installation path for Studio is always going to be C:\- any other installation will be (secondary)on D/E/F and so on.
I have checked back with support on this and they confirmed that the user does NOT have the option of defining a different HD as Studio is hardwired to install on C.
If installed on a different drive- Studio wont start as it only searches C - Or you will be asked for (incorrectly) a professional license as it may assume a domain.

To prevent any unnecessary issues- always install to C.

Hope this helps.

Kr

Steve

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:58
French to German
+ ...
And what performance do you expect? Nov 11, 2015

Let me add to this that I expect that you would have performance problems running Studio from a USB stick.

I don't think a USB stick is a viable way to run such a rich application.

Walter

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Performance + Nov 11, 2015

Regarding performance, the reason I'm considering this stick is it's impressive 8 GB RAM (same as my laptop, although I have 32 GB on my PC), as well as the convenience when travelling.

As to the extra machine, that's what I thought, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to deactivate one license and then activate it on the stick.

Thanks all!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
OK, this is not a "regular USB stick"! Nov 11, 2015

Hi Richard

Sorry, but I did not look at the tech specs of this device before writing my answer to your post.

Now, I realise I should have. This stick is really amazing. Assuming, it will stand up to the promises once it is delivered, this will be an awesome and quite interesting device.

However, I think it's use will still be limited. One of the question that immediately comes up is whether the OS you run from this stick will allow you to access additional storage devices apart from the 64 GB embedded storage. This might be the limiting factor when you want to run applications that need a lot of storage space.

Walter

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
You can connect any external hard drive or storage device you want Nov 11, 2015

Hi Walter,

Yes, it is pretty impressive.

I knew I read somewhere that you could add external storage, and found it again way down in the comments section:
"You can connect any external hard drive or storage device you want. 256 gb is just about inside MagicStick."

And here http://magicstick.net/support-help-center-faq/ it says:
"You can also expand your storage by putting SD card (upto 128 GB) in the SD card slot provided"

It has USB 3.1, Sx USB 3.0, Micro SD port USB C-Type.

I still haven't signed up but I'm tempted. Anyway 17 days left to decide.

-Richard

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Cooling? Nov 12, 2015

It does have impressive specs and look very cool. I wonder what they did for cooling? There's no fan, and it seems like anything running normal computing power would get hot very quickly in such a small housing.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
They answer about cooling Nov 12, 2015

"There is no fan in MagicStick Box. So, what about the heat produced due to processors and other components?

"It produces very less amount of heat for which fan is not needed. MagicStick is powered by latest Intel 14 nm Cherry Trail processors which runs only on 2 watts of power. It’s a new innovative technology that consumes very less power and so very less heat is produced."

You find more information on their pages.

I am not very impressed of the standard of English, though, so I would be a little weary of their statements, but they could be true, of course.

Roy

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:58
Finnish to French
CPU for mobile devices Nov 12, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
It does have impressive specs and look very cool. I wonder what they did for cooling? There's no fan, and it seems like anything running normal computing power would get hot very quickly in such a small housing.

The processor is an Intel Atom x7 Z8700. If you look at benchmarks of mobile CPU’s, it’s at the same level as Apple’s A9X, which is used in the latest iPad Pro. There’s no fan in an iPad either.

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Actually..... Nov 12, 2015

..... it almost sounds too good to be true! Carrying my computer in my pocket, where ever I go.

Makes me remind on my ex father-in-law. Many years ago he bought one of the first CD-players. It costed him a fortune then, and the quality was shit (excuse me my French). Nowadays you get a better player when you buy a super package of washing powder.

What I want to say here, it might be the future, but wait till it is knocking at your door (if you get my drift).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Studio 2015 on a PC-on-a-stick

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search