Thread poster: Alexandre Oberlin

Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:40
English to French
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

Hi all,

When I am almost finished with a document in a CAT tool on Windows (say Trados Studio), I like to use a more specialized grammar-enabled spell checking application (say Microsoft Word, preferably with a better grammatical spell checking plug-in) while simultaneously correcting it in Trados. But then I can't save the amended target from Trados to immediately check the results in Word because the current target is open in Word and locked (BTW Trados does not figure this out instantly and first writes the target in some buffer of its own). I must first close the current target file in Word, create the new target in Trados and only then reopen it in Word. This clicking/switching process is quite time consuming, compared for instance to the much more clever approach consisting in providing a reload button in any file editor and warning the user if the file was modified independently while she edited it (routinely found on the unix planet) which IMHO is much more convenient and quite as much secure.

Another possibility would be to open the files read only in the spell checker, but while there seems to be a registry hack for LibreOffice Windows to open files read-only by default, I did not find an equivalent in Word, and the redesigned Open dialogs in late Microsoft Office are time, eyes and wrist killers…

Has someone a nice workaround to suggest?

Alexandre

Caroline Ducasse
France
French to German
+ ...
Save as Nov 13, 2015

Hi Alexandre,
I use to do a 'Save as' under a different name before beginning corrections, the original name is again free for saving from Trados.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant! Nov 13, 2015

Good evening Caroline,

Thanks a lot and congratulations for your tip. It is clever because you can then save the target from Trados even if you have forgotten to close the file in Word, so you bypass the doomed attempt by Trados which can take some time with big files.

Always saving the target in the default folder from Trados would also allow to open it swiftly using an Explorer window left open on this folder, which will bypass the lengthy file opening process in Word.

It’s nice to think about such issues when not under pressure!

Have a nice week-end,

Alexandre

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about using Word as a spellchecker in Studio? Nov 13, 2015

My first thought would be using Word as a spellcheck provider in Studio (in Studio, go to Options-Editor - Spelling and choose MS Word Spell Checker under Active Spell Checker). For Grammar checking, you can also use Word's capabilities via the MS Word Grammar Checker Open Exchange app.

Alternatively, instead of saving the target each time, you could create a preview via File - Print & View - View in Microsoft Word as Target. And of course, if you have a version of Office other than click-to-run, you could take advantage of Studio's live preview via View-Preview.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Impressive! Nov 13, 2015

Good afternoon Nora,

Many thanks for your advanced suggestions. It's essentially for grammatical typos that I need something as strict as possible, though Word has already helped me out of quite a few ones. Does an MS Word Grammar Checker Open Exchange app allow to run some better spellchecker plugin?

I was not convinced last time I (mostly inadvertently) tried MS Office previews, but it is certainly worth a more educated second try. I wish I were less conservative when I run Trados but I focus on productivity and have become rather cautious after so many issues with simpler features already.

Have a great week-end!

Alexandre

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The Grammar Checker OX app makes a grammar check in Word superfluous Nov 18, 2015

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
Does an MS Word Grammar Checker Open Exchange app allow to run some better spellchecker plugin?

Alexandre

I also used to run the grammar check outside of Studio in Word ... until this feature became available as an OX app in Studio.

This means that you don't need to go through the process you described because you can do everything directly from Studio (unless you want to use a more sophisticated spellchecking tool:-, such as Antidote or Robert).

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-18 22:10 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting more and more Trados savvy thanks to your help! Nov 21, 2015

Hello Walter,

Thanks for your reply. So IIUC the answer to my (amended) question:

Does an Open Exchange app allow to run some better spellchecker plugin than Microsoft Word's?

is NO.

I finally performed a search and now I know (sort of) what an Open Exchange app is: I had figured from the name that it was some sort of extension to the Microsoft Exchange servericon_wink.gif

I often work on mobile devices with a limited amount of RAM and CPU power, and am not excessively confident with those extra layers of convenience and nicety which in my experience merely slow down the system when they don't make it crash… I feel more at ease with simple ad-hoc tricks like the one kindly provided by Caroline. I don't mind a few extra keystrokes (as opposed to extensive mouse usage and waiting for niceties to respond). What I would appreciate however is a good French grammar checker, but choosing one among all the different advices and procedures and levels of integration is such a drag, not speaking of the non-negligible risk that your Office installation gets corrupted. I had to postpone this operation some months ago after I gave it a try and got so tired! I would be quite happy with a stand-alone checker, as long as it is efficient, but I suspect that efficiency is not at the top of the list of requirements in today's software applications.

Have a nice week end,

Alexandre

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Open Exchange apps Nov 21, 2015

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

I finally performed a search and now I know (sort of) what an Open Exchange app is: I had figured from the name that it was some sort of extension to the Microsoft Exchange servericon_wink.gif

Hi Alexandre,

Open Exchange apps are Studio add-ons that you can find here:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/

They enhance Studio in a number of ways. : )

This is the link to the MS Word Grammar Checker;

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/mswordgrammarcheckerforstudio2015-796.html#85390

[Edited at 2015-11-21 20:06 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But this is for pioneers! Nov 22, 2015

Thank you Nora for the direct links. It seems that some of those apps eventually get merged into the standard release. For example, the essential feature of merging/retrieving several files into one was integrated from version 2014. Before this, projects involving a lot of small files were a nightmare to deal with in Trados.

Have a great Sunday,

Alexandre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correcting in Trados while spell checking elsewhere

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search