SDL Trados Studio 2015 - cannot create return packages
Thread poster: Nicholasl

Nicholasl  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:12
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nov 14, 2015

This isn't directly related to some of the recently posted SDL Trados 'woes,' but falls under the general scope of Trados-related problems: I recently purchased SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance, but find it impossible to create 'return packages' when completing project files sent by a client. The 'Create return package' option is greyed out when I go to 'Home-->Packages Group' on the top tool bar, with the 'Project View' activated on the sidebar. Perhaps this is not surprising because no project name appears in the project list, despite my repeated attempts to open what I thought was a completed project - I get the recurring message "This project has already been opened in SDL Trados Studio 2015 and added to the project list," but no project is visible!

Certainly, the translated .sdlxliff files do exist, but for some reason I cannot associate them with the project itself - a temporary solution is just to send the .sdlxliff bilingual files as e-mail attachments, but that's hardly ideal for customers, understandably they want the entire package back. I may have complicated things for myself, by releasing SDL Trados attributes and files into separate folders (a legacy one for SDL 2014 and one for SDL 2015 - worse still, these folders exist on the Mac OS side of the iMac and on the WINDOWS virtual machine I installed through 'Parallels').

At this point, I'm not even sure if it's the software or me - possibly I'm missing a step when downloading a project package to begin with? Or am I missing something really horribly obvious and SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance doesn't have the ability to return completed .ppx packages??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick Lomonossoff

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filter in the Projects view Nov 15, 2015

If you get a message saying that the project is already open, it must be there but you're probably not seeing it due to a filter setting. In the Projects view, make sure that the Filter Projects Status is set to Show All Projects, then see if your project becomes visible.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:12
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you received a package from the client, or individual sdlxliff files? Nov 15, 2015

Nicholasl wrote:

I recently purchased SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance, but find it impossible to create 'return packages' when completing project files sent by a client. The 'Create return package' option is greyed out when I go to 'Home-->Packages Group' on the top tool bar, with the 'Project View' activated on the sidebar.

If you have received individual files from the client and not a full package with the files (the package will have the extension .sdlppx), then the "Create return package" option will be greyed out. In that case, you have to return individual sdlxliff files.

If you have received such a package, then it sounds like something is wrong, and you may want to contact sdl.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-11-15 07:29 GMT]

Canada
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot create return packages Nov 15, 2015

Thanks, Nora, thanks Roy.
I did try the filters for the Projects View, unfortunately it didn't make any difference.
Roy, you make a good point about the extension denoting the package. I checked the client's original e-mail and the file that came with it did indeed have extension .sdlppx. So, as you say, something may be wrong with my copy of SDL Trados Studio 2015 - or it's possible I'm doing something wrong.
One question: when you receive an .sdlppx file, are you supposed to copy it to an easily locatable directory on your computer first, before accessing it through Trados, as opposed to just clicking on it, so that it opens automatically in Trados? (A bit basic, I know...).

Thanks.

Nick

Viola Schöpf  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Return Packages Nov 15, 2015

Hi,

try: open for review and approve review. Afterwards I can always create the return package in
Studio 15.

Best Regards,
Viola

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I prefer to open ppx packages from inside Studio Nov 15, 2015

Nicholasl wrote:
One question: when you receive an .sdlppx file, are you supposed to copy it to an easily locatable directory on your computer first, before accessing it through Trados, as opposed to just clicking on it, so that it opens automatically in Trados? (A bit basic, I know...).

You don't really have to copy it to any specific place, although I prefer to have it in a specific project folder.

But instead of double click it to have it opening in Studio, I prefer to open it from inside Studio, and then tell Studio where the Studio should save the files in the package (a sub folder I usually call just Studio). That way I have full control of where the files are at any time instead of letting Studio decide.

Hope that will be of some help.

Roy

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Try highlighting the files in the files view Nov 16, 2015

I have never been able to send return packages from the Edit view (as far as I can remember).

My routine is to close all the files, and then from the Edit view, you can send a package.

With Studio 2015, if you have the Freelancer version, the big Create Project Packages icon is always grayedout, because you can't do that.

However, the two small icons beside it, at the top right of the field

Create Return Package and Create Studio 2009 Compatible Package

... should be available.

If they are still grayed out when you close the file(s), try highlighting all the files.
(Click on the top file, then Shift + arrow down to mark them all in blue.)

I had to do this with a package today. The icon is still fairly gray in the new colour scheme, but the tiny arrow turns blue, and most importantly, it functions.

I also use Package Reader, which is a free app from SDL Exchange, to check the contents of the package before sending it. I do not actually open the pack, but Package Reader lists what is in it - no. of translated files, no. of translated words etc.

Hope that helps!

Canada
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried everything - but thanks Nov 16, 2015

I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions, all useful in different ways. I tried to 'walk back' through the process of the failed return package, and got halfway there (i.e. I could eventually see all the extant projects by properly filtering, as Nora suggested) , but there doesn't seem any way, in this particular case, of associating the translated .sdlxliff files with the original package itself - I would only end up sending the client's original, untranslated files back to them! Again, I think the problem is that I ended up storing the package's attributes on one path (the WINDOWS side), while somehow isolating the translated work to another path on the iMac side. Following Roy's advice, next time, I will try to access the package from within TRADOS and designate it to a sensible location (Christine's suggestion of acquiring a Package Reader is also good).

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Files don't need to be associated Nov 17, 2015

Nicholasl wrote:

...there doesn't seem any way, in this particular case, of associating the translated .sdlxliff files with the original package itself...

Hi Nicholas, your comment about associating the translated sdlxliff files with the package makes me think that maybe you're not dealing with the actual package files directly. When you open a package, either by double-clicking it in Windows explorer or by opening it directly from within Studio, the package opens as a project, so you see it in the Projects view, and the contents of the package (the sdlxliff files) can be seen in the Files view.

Let's say for example that you get a package called PACKAGE.sdlppx. When you double-click that file in Windows explorer, the package will be added to the list of Studio projects, BUT... if you have a different file open in Studio, Studio doesn't automatically go to your newly opened package, you have to navigate to that manually, so that means that after double-clicking the sdlppx file, you have to go to the Projects view and find the project called PACKAGE. Once you locate it, double-click it, which will both make it active (bold) and take you to the Files view.

Let's say that PACKAGE contains two files: TRANSLATABLE1.sdlxliff and TRANSLATABLE2.sdlxliff. If PACKAGE is active in the Projects view (you can see the name of the active project at the very top of the Studio window), when you are in the Files view you will see TRANSLATABLE1 and TRANSLATABLE 2 in your list. From there, you can open the files for translation, review, etc. and do whatever work you need to do. When you're done, after saving all your work in the Editor view, you would probably want to close the files in the Editor, and go back to the Files view, double-checking once again that PACKAGE is the active project. Then, still in the Files view, you would select both files, TRANSLATABLE1 and TRANSLATABLE2, and right-click on top of the selected files and choose Create Return Package. The result will be a file called PACKAGE.sdlrpx (notice the "r" in the extension, which designates a return package), saved to the same directory where PACKAGE.sdlppx is located, or whatever directory you indicate. That is the file you would email back to your client.

I'm not at all sure about your different folder situation, but I know that I save packages to different folders all the time and it never affects the package handling process.

Hope that helps!

PS Just thought of something else, it may be nothing but worth mentioning just in case: while in the Files view, make sure that you're looking at the Target Language files, not the Source Language ones, or Create Return Package won't be available. So make sure that on the left-hand side, right under Files, your target language is selected from the drop-down menu.

[Edited at 2015-11-17 17:21 GMT]

Canada
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot create return packages - comprehensive advice! Nov 18, 2015

Thanks, Nora, that's great!

Probably the best thing is for me to 'start from scratch' and follow your instructions when a client sends in a new package. Things should work at that point - if they don't, my fault.

Nick

Diana Rhudick  Identity Verified

French to English
+ ...
Trados Studio 2015 - cannot create return packages May 20, 2016

When I received the project package in an email, I just clicked on it to open in Trados (there were some choices to make in there), then started working. I had the same problem of "Create Return Package" being grayed-out (Studio 2015), so I clicked Files view, selected the files for my outgoing package, and right-clicked on one of the files to select Create Return Package. Then you just follow instructions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 - cannot create return packages

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search