Just starting with Trados Studio 2015 - very first use of Trados
Thread poster: Suzanne Reynolds

Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:29
Chinese to English
Nov 15, 2015

Hi,

I'm kicking off my Trados "career" with Studio 2015 and I'm trying to align documents, but keep getting the same error
- namely, "Illegal characters exist" in the ST (the ST is simplified Chinese but has some English) - would this stop Trados from processing it?, and also "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I googled the second error and found: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4984 - I've tried all the fixes but they haven't helped.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Why aligning? Nov 15, 2015

S_Reynolds wrote:
I'm kicking off my Trados "career" with Studio 2015 and I'm trying to align documents, but keep getting the same error

I can't help you with the error I'm afraid. Aligning seems to be a rather odd way to start with Studio...? When I started with Studio a year ago this article by Emma was very useful.

Regards
Dan

Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dan Nov 15, 2015

I'm aligning to create TMs from the Editing and QC jobs I've completed to date. I tried using a .txt file to create a TM, but, again, this only yielded error messages.

Thank you for the link.

Regards,

Suzanne

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:29
French to German
+ ...
What document format did you try to align? Nov 15, 2015

Suzanne

The "illegal character" error usually is due to invalid XML characters, so it would be helpful to know what the format of the documents you tried to align is.

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:29
French to German
+ ...
TXT is not a valid format for creating a TM in STudio Nov 15, 2015

S_Reynolds wrote:

I'm aligning to create TMs from the Editing and QC jobs I've completed to date. I tried using a .txt file to create a TM, but, again, this only yielded error messages.Suzanne

What do you mean by "using a .txt format to create a TM"? When you create a TM from scratch, you don't need any input as you create an empty TM.

If however, you want to import data into an existing TM, then you need to have the input in TMX format, which is the standard translation memory exchange format (this is actually what TMX stands for:-))

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-15 20:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just starting with Trados Studio 2015 - very first use of Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search