Trados 2015 on 1366x768 screen?
Thread poster: EilidhJohnstone

EilidhJohnstone
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2015

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop, and would like to be able to run Trados 2015.

The SDL website lists a screen res of 1280x1024 as the recommended minimum requirement. Unfortunately, pretty much all of the laptops in my price bracket (low) have a maximum resolution of 1366x768.

Is it possible to run Trados in a lower resolution, or would this cause problems?

Thanks for your help.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:36
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My PC Nov 17, 2015

EilidhJohnstone wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop, and would like to be able to run Trados 2015.

The SDL website lists a screen res of 1280x1024 as the recommended minimum requirement. Unfortunately, pretty much all of the laptops in my price bracket (low) have a maximum resolution of 1366x768.

Is it possible to run Trados in a lower resolution, or would this cause problems?

Thanks for your help.

My 1366x768 res. PC runs Trados 2015 smoothly without any issues.

Soonthon L.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:36
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Will probably work ... Nov 17, 2015

... but I suspect that the information on the screen will be very cramped, since Studio 2015 is optimalised for a much larger screen. I am using a resolution of 1980 x 1080, and would hate to work at a resolution that is much smaller than that.

What about purchasing a larger external video that you can attach to your laptop? I would suspect you would find it easier to work with thqt. And also, if you want to do serious work, I would definitely recommend not choosing a laptop in the cheapest range, but rather invest in a stronger machine. I think you will find it worth the investment.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-11-17 07:46 GMT]

EilidhJohnstone
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic, thank you. Nov 17, 2015

Thank you both very much for your advice, that's been a great help. I will definitely consider using a larger external screen. I'm currently a mere student of translation and I probably won't actually buy Trados for a while yet, but it's reassuring to know that I could.

Thanks again,
Eilidh

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:36
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Depends on screen size Nov 17, 2015

EilidhJohnstone wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, pretty much all of the laptops in my price bracket (low) have a maximum resolution of 1366x768.

Thanks for your help.

A resolution of 1366x768 is OK on a 15" screen. I've spent two months working on one with Studio 2015 while my work machine was being repaired. I connected a 2nd monitor most of the time, but also worked using the 15" screen on its own. It was fine.

Other specs are more important - particularly enough RAM (preferably 8 GB upwards) and a good processor (at least a 4th gen Haswell i5 or i7).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015 on 1366x768 screen?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search