Deleting bad alignments post-facto
Thread poster: Tradeus Stevens

Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
Nov 17, 2015

Hello translators,

I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of poor-quality aligned segments plaguing my translation memory. All bad alignments come from one massive document, my employer's annual report, which is understandably tough to align as the English version only has about 70% of the same content/articles and the layout was overhauled between publications.

I tried some manual noodling with Studio 2015 SP2's alignment tool but it would take hours to properly realign the thing.

I've noticed that the most flagrantly poor and incoherent alignments usually have a low quality score attached to them. Do you know a way to block these poor alignments from my concordance search while translating or delete them permanently? Any other fix would be welcome... There are still enough good-quality aligned segments from the annual report to not want to throw out the whole thing.

Thank you very much in advance : )

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change your concordance % Nov 17, 2015

You can change your Concordance search threshold by going to Project Settings - Language Pairs - and then either All Language Pairs or your specific language pair, depending on how your project is set up, then Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Search and changing the match values under Concordance on the right-hand pane.

Deleting the bad TUs would require some TM maintenance, possibly a combination of filtering if you have some identifiable attributes that you could use to filter the bad Tus and manual review/deleting, which you can do under the Translation Memories view.

Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Two different scores - will troubleshoot Nov 18, 2015

Hello Nora,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I don't think changing the concordance / translation threshold will solve the problem, since I already had these values set relatively high (70%), yet I'm still pulling up matches with ultra low-quality (0 to 30 range) aligned segments (specifically referring to the "Quality" on the right-hand side of the concordance viewer, underneath "Sourcefile" and "Targetfile"). I think Trados considers these two separate scores.

There are no words or marks that I know of that would allow me to filter out bad alignments in Memory view.

I'll try realigning and see if I can set a minimum quality for segment import threshold. I'm new to aligning in general, so if you or anyone know any tips or tricks, feel free.

Thanks again
Brian

Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Two different scores - will troubleshoot Nov 18, 2015

After playing around with the alignment tool, I still can't find a way to set an import quality threshold.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting bad alignments post-facto

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search