T-window for Excel: how to add the target text on a specified row in Excel?
Thread poster: Maricica W.
Maricica W.  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 17, 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm using T-window for Excel 5.5.0.70 and would like to add the translation on a certain row in Excel, insted of replacing the source text in the translation; I am not sure if this can be done in T-window, TW or only manually.
I know it sounds a little bit stupid, yet I cannot find an answer to that besides making the changes manually.

Thank you.
Veronica

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 00:20
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy the text to the cell or column where you want to place the translation Feb 17, 2005

Hello,

To solve this problem, I think you should copy the text to the cell or column where the translation should go.

For example, if there are 2 columns, one with the English source text and another one where the Spanish translation should go, you can copy the whole source text column to the column where the Spanish text should go. If the English source text is in column A, copy it to column B, by selecting the whole column.

I hope this helps and I hope I understood your problem. I realize that maybe your target or translated text might need to be placed in different cells within the worksheet, but I tried
to simplify the problem.

To find a possible solution, you might go back to how Trados works with Word. It replaces the translated text on the same row of the document where the source text was.

T-Windows for Excel works in the same way, although sometimes it is not so intuitive.

Best regards,
Patricia

[Edited at 2005-02-17 15:29]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Temporary document Feb 17, 2005

I usually create a temporary Excel document (Save the original As...), translate it, open both the original and the translation in Excel and copy the translation to the original document.

It's also possible to use Patricia's solution, you just need to remember to skip the strings that should be left untranslated. It's easy in T-Window, so it might work for you, but in TagEditor (Trados 6.5) the first option is better.

Maricica W.  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Patricia and Hynek Feb 17, 2005

Patricia, I will keep your explanation in mind, it applies in many cases with TW, as you pointed out.

Hynek, I have done about the same thing as you suggested, except for using TagEditor (I used T-window and then pasted the translation to the original file).

Thank you again and best regards,
Veronica

[Edited at 2005-02-17 16:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T-window for Excel: how to add the target text on a specified row in Excel?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search