Hide segments where source=target?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:56
Nov 20, 2015

Can I hide those segments where source=target, either in Studio 2014 or 2015?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Yes, by locking them Nov 20, 2015

Yes, and in fact it is highly recommended to do this in order to minimise pollution of your TM.

Simply make sure your target segment is empty by clicking ALT-DEL, then immediately click CTRL-L, which will lock the segment.

This works because if a target segment is empty, the target document will contain the source text.

You can do this on an entire selection of segments in one operation. Personally, I do this for example for segments that contain only numbers (provided they don't require a change in formatting) by selecting them using the "Display Filter" before I even begin to translate. Then I lock all the filtered segments.

Walter

Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Filter on source=target Nov 20, 2015

Thanks Walter. Is it possible to filter on those segments where source=target (in order to lock them)?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Verification setting + Filter Nov 20, 2015

You could set Verification - QA Checker - Segment Verification to show an error for all segments where source and target are identical (I would clear all other verification settings to ensure only this is listed), run the verification, then set the Filter to Segment Review - With Messages, this will show you a filtered list of segments where source and target are identical. Then you would select all the segments and lock them, then filter for unlocked segments and that would hide all those segments were source and target are identical.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 16:51 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:56
German to Turkish
+ ...
@2nl , Nora Diaz & Walter Blaser Nov 20, 2015

Thanks for the question and guidance.

Being a newbie with CATs - I am using them for only one year now - I benefit much from such topics.

Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
A lot of steps Nov 20, 2015

Thank you Nora, I was hoping for that solution.

I've checked it and it works.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-20%20at%2018.14.11.png?1448039840

I had to uncheck about a zillion of other QA categories, but after a little waiting I got the "errors" reported.

I really appreciate this!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hide segments where source=target?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search