There is no translation in target language at all
Thread poster: ardavan

ardavan
Iran
Local time: 12:22
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Nov 21, 2015

i'm using Trados Studio 2014 SP1 on a WIN 7 Professional (64-bit) computer. i have a TM consisting of nearly 11000 translation units and the language pair is English to Persian. when i'm opening a new project or starting a single file translation, nothing happens at all! i mean there's no translated units in target language(persian) and i have to type everything by myself as if it even doesn't exist!!
can anyone help?
thanks.

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 10:52
German to Turkish
+ ...
Do you pretranslate? Nov 21, 2015

ardavan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NO. Nov 22, 2015

Do i have to?

ardavan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes i did it Nov 22, 2015

but still there's no automated text insertion and just suggested words appears not complete paragraph.
Tanx

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Machine translation Nov 22, 2015

If you expect a translation to be automatically inserted for you, you need to enable some kind of machine translation engine (Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, MyMemory, SDL’s own etc.). The software is not supposed to translate on your behalf otherwise. Looks like you are/were mistaken about the nature of a CAT tool...

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
German to Turkish
+ ...
Some points: Nov 22, 2015

1- Your source file matters. Matching the TM entries and your source segments depends on a lot of factors. TMs usually consist of sentences as units. So are source files (paragraphs are possible, but I have never come across to such an xliff file.)

2- Termbase and translation memory are two separate entities. The suggestion of individual words makes me rather think of a termbase.

3- You may have a comprehensive TM and your xliff file may have been properly prepared. Yet the TM may be irrelevant for your file in question.

As Dominique has pointed out, CAT tools do not translate. If you are a newbie on CAT tools, you may want to inquire more information about them. There are many topics in this forum.

[Edited at 2015-11-22 12:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-22 12:00 GMT]

ardavan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Machine translation Nov 22, 2015

Erif & Dominique thank you for your useful and practical comments. I know about what a CAT Tool can do and i'm aware that it's not supposed to translate every thing for me but it seems that i'm a little bit confused so please let me know what should i expect? if just inserting a previously translated word is all i could expect, i can do the whole translation faster than this tool and in old fashioned way. (as i'm doing right now). As i watched in many tutorials, when the source text is opened in Trados and the cursor appears on target text columns a translated text appears and all you have to do is to correct the translated version or doing some basic editing on it. I've read many items about this tool.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A great resource and a couple of tips Nov 22, 2015

I would recommend you have a look at this excellent resource:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/10/27/tm-ebook/

Download the ebook and read it, it won't take long and it will give you an idea of what to expect from Studio.

Are you sure your TM contains 100% matches for your file? If it does, then check that the relevant boxes are checked under Options - Editor - Automation - Translation Memory. The Auto-propagation section may also be worth checking, right below Automation.

Also, have a look under Project Settings - Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Pre-translate Settings

ardavan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful tip Nov 22, 2015

Thank you very much Nora. I will download the recommended book and after reading that guide and the other tips you mentioned I'll let you know if my problems solved
Thanks again

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Versions Nov 22, 2015

ardavan wrote:
i'm using Trados Studio 2014 SP1

One more thing: the current version is 2015, released last June. It’s the only version you can buy now, or download as a (30-day) trial from SDL’s site. The latest 2014 is SP2, not SP1: if you own a 2014 license, you should upgrade it to SP2, which contains an important improvement (more about it here). Now, if your copy of 2014 SP1 was "found" on the internet, you may want to consider starting with a simpler and less expensive tool. Many such tools exist, and some are even free.

ardavan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
versions Nov 23, 2015

Dominique: Thank you very much for your useful tips and information

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There is no translation in target language at all

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search