Thread poster: Louise TAYLOR

Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:59
Member (2015)
French to English
Nov 22, 2015

Hello
A client has sent me several files to be translated. I cannot load any of his files into Trados 2014. He has sent both PDF and word versions but they all do the same thing. The import looks as though it is working but then there is no content.

In the editor view I have the name of the file in orange as usual on the first and last lines. There is nothing else so these lines are the first and second. There is no content to translate.

I don't normally have a problem with either type of file. Does anyone know what could be causing this please?

Many thanks

Louise

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:59
German to Turkish
+ ...
Secured? Nov 22, 2015

I don't know whether or not there is something like a "secured word file" like a "secured pdf file".

Can you work on the files (edit, copy etc.) on MS Word or Acrobat Reader?

Elif

France
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not secured Nov 22, 2015

Hello Elif

Thank you for your reply.

The files are not secured. I can work on them although the text is in text boxes rather than free text. This shouldn't make a difference.

Louise

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A few questions Nov 22, 2015

Do you see a word count in the bottom right corner of Studio? If so, then the content is there, just not visible.

Could the display filter be the cause? For example, if there is no translated content and the display filter is set up to, say, 100% matches, you would see what you are describing.

Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:59
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
TXT or copy Nov 22, 2015

Hello Louise,
I had some experience with similar (not exactly the same) problems.
I will try one of two things:
1. save the source file as a clean TXT file (use Notepad++)
or
2. copy the content of the source to a new DOCX file with attention NOT to copy any page headers or footers.
Most of the time one of this "solutions" will work. Just remember that in both cases you will have to rebuild the target file.
Good luck.

France
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Success! Nov 22, 2015

Thank you both Amnon and Nora.

I tried copying the word file but that didn't change anything. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Adobe Acrobat DC and tried the improve file function. I'm not sure if it was this that did it because on saving the document it ran another process where it was 'recognizing' the file.

The amended file came into Trados with just a few glitches in the customers logo and letter heading, top and bottom.

Well I have been successful this time I just hope it doesn't happen again when my free trial runs out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document content not importing

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search