Problem installing SDL Trados 2015 Starter edition
Thread poster: Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh

Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:47
Italian to English
Dec 3, 2015

Hi,

I purchased the one year subscription for SDL Trados 2015 starter edition and downloaded the software to my laptop running Windows 8. I clicked the installation icon and it began the installation. However, I could not find the installed program anywhere on my computer. I clicked the installation icon again figuring I would have to go through installation again, but when I did it just asked me if it were alright for the program to make changes to my computer. After that the installation stalled out and did nothing. Anyone else have this happen?

I tried in vain to open a ticket at the SDL website, but was sent into a never-ending loop. VERY frustrating. So then I tried contacting every SDL office here in the United States. I was only able to speak to a human at the Colorado office, but was never able to get through to the technician who could supposedly help me.

Anyone have any idea how to get the installation to work properly or who I should contact at SDL to get this problem fixed?

Thanks,

Dawn

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Run as administrator Dec 3, 2015

Have you tried to run the installation file as administrator? Right click and select "Run as administrator" from the drop-down menu.
By default, I believe it installs in Program Files > SDL on your main disk. If you have two different Program Files folders, check both and sort by Date modified to see if there is a new SDL folder there.

Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Run as administrator also doesn't work Dec 4, 2015

Thanks Natalia for your suggestions. I did try to install as the administrator, but it doesn't change anything. The installation refuses to install. I also checked both of my program files, and the program is in neither one. I even downloaded a new copy of the .exe file and tried to run that, but no luck. I am really not sure what is happening. I have never had this happen with any other software installation in my life.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:47
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you tried searching for it? Dec 4, 2015

If you move the mouse to the right of the screen, you get a field with different options. The uppermost is a magnifying glass, saying Search.

If you type Trados here, you should get it listed. Right click and choose Open File Place (or whatever it's called in your language), and you should be fine.

If it's not listed there it looks like something is wrong on your machine. Of course, usually it should be installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\SDLTradosStudio.exe"

(If you use the 32 bit version of Windows, then it would not say (x86) of course.)

I hope the above is some help.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem installing SDL Trados 2015 Starter edition

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search