Studio didn't save 40% of translation in target file
Thread poster: Gordana Sujdovic

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Dec 4, 2015

Did someone have such an issue?

I had formatted file in Word, 100 pages stretched to 250. Text with specific headers, some text, then tables with some bullets, uniform throughout file. I translated at start several segments, saved target to check layout and it was OK. I completed translation after several days and luckily left one day to read it in target because spellchecker in my language is not quite reliable; it does not recognize some words, otherwise correctly written. I wasn't worried when I saw after around 60% of text that English text remained in target till the end, thinking that I maybe didn't click on Save.

I did it again, the same happened. I unchecked all segments and clicked through complete file to make new TM. I was sure it would function; I made a new project, it was 100% confirmed, and the same happened. At that moment of panic, I could not think of anything else but to copy-paste 40 pages, some segments being tiny. It took me 11 hours.

I did it on time, and checked text while copying. Does someone know how this is to be solved?

I remembered only after 10 days to try it in MemoQ. It accepted 94% of text, skipping some segments in that second part.

Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:10
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
60% confirmed in Studio or 60% exported in translation? Dec 4, 2015

I am not sure if I understand the issue totally.

Did you try to export the translation when it was 60% confirmed and the translation would not be exported? As long as all cells are filled, even if they are not confirmed, you should really be fine.

I have at times found that Studio doesn't want to report 100% confirmed, but I have not had any problems with exporting the finished translation even so.

Roy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:10
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Problem tag Dec 4, 2015

In heavily formatted Word files a tag sometimes gets lost between segments in Studio. As a result the translated segments aren't saved to the target file from that point onwards.

Read this post to see what Paul Filkin advises:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/280517-generated_translation_half_in_source_text_half_in_target_text.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both.. Dec 4, 2015

...for some possible next time.

100% confirmed, and 60% in exported file was target language, the rest 40% was English.

No, I didn't remember to run tag verification:( I discovered all after I read completed .sdlxliff file, fixed some typos and issues. Then I wanted to read it slowly again in target Word file, and when I was at around 150th page, out of 250, it happened from there.

In fact, Emma, the only person I thought of, that could have saved me, were you, and it was 3 a.m.

[Edited at 2015-12-04 09:47 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Emma, Dec 4, 2015

You were right...as always; tags.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio didn't save 40% of translation in target file

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search